Author Topic: Lymes Disease cases 3x higher than expected.  (Read 345 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Lymes Disease cases 3x higher than expected.
« on: 12:39:29, 31/07/19 »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jul/31/uk-lyme-disease-cases-may-be-three-times-higher-than-estimated

Cases of Lyme disease in the UK may be three times higher than previous estimates, according to new research.
After analysing the anonymous medical records of 8.4 million people from across the UK, scientists forecast that the total number of Lyme disease diagnoses in the UK could top 8,000 in 2019, compared with previous estimates of between 2,000 and 3,000 annual diagnoses.

Lyme disease is a bacterial infection, which is passed on through being bitten by an infected tick. The small spider-like creatures feed off the blood of animals and are typically found in dense, moist vegetation.

Lyme disease has many symptoms, making it difficult to diagnose. Early symptoms can be similar to those of flu, and about a quarter of cases will develop a circular red rash around the bite. Full clinical diagnosis requires a blood test, but the study found that more than half of patients in 2012, the most recent year with complete data, were treated with only “suspected” or “possible” Lyme disease.

If caught early, most cases can be successfully treated with antibiotics within four weeks, but the infection can lead to permanent damage to the joints and nervous system.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Lymes Disease cases 3x higher than expected.
« Reply #1 on: 12:51:06, 31/07/19 »
Just finished reading this. Some very useful advice on how to deal with it. Never knew to keep the actual tick once removed or draw around bite with biro so it can be monitored.
As anyone who knows me can tell you I am paranoid about ticks because a close friend has full blown Lyme disease and to say it is devastating and totally life changing is an understatement.
Muntjac deers are getting the blame around here in Lincolnshire, never yet seen a live one, but there are plenty of carcases littering the A1 and A52.

Too little, too late, too bad......

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:07:22, 31/07/19 »
Useful advice, I wouldn't have thought of retaining the tick itself. It is a worrying problem, though interestingly, despite many years of backpacking wild areas including thrashing through acres of head-high bracken and the like, I've never had one. I do always wear a long sleeved top and tracksters though, no shorts for me!.

However our performance walking kit will definitely not be washed at a high temperature  :o

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:00:37, 31/07/19 »
Have had several bites in Snowdonia over the last 15 years, they're from sheep I presume, but never a red ring or flu-like symptoms. Maybe I'm immune! (he says hopefully).

Taken just weeks ago in the Chilterns:
I did 8 miles in shorts and button-up shirt, checked myself thoroughly when I had a shower.

EDIT: two weeks ago, not weeks ago.
« Last Edit: 15:31:12, 31/07/19 by fernman »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:20:37, 31/07/19 »
I do always wear a long sleeved top and tracksters though, no shorts for me!

Absolutely - Tracksters are the way to go if you are heading into the heather etc.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:15:47, 31/07/19 »

I can't abide having my legs covered when it's hot. I hope a swirly skirt will do the job of wafting them away from me. I try not to walk through tall undergrowth, especially when there are deer or sheep about.

I had a tick removed from my back once, at the doctors. They sent it away for analysis. The spot felt itchy for a few days so they gave me anti biotics just in case. Luckily no further problems.

ilona

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:37:43, 31/07/19 »
I don't often wear shorts.  But in the recent hot weather training for the Dartmoor marathon, so traveling fast and light, I have a few times.

A few things I do to reduce the risk.  Always stop on rocks, never grass.  Avoid Ferns and always check my legs and arms each and every time I pass through long vegetation.  Plus a thorough check in the shower.

Sound advice on a hot wash.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:00:38, 31/07/19 »
The hot vigorous shower also works against harvest mites.  I am particularly sensitive to their attentions.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:11:25, 31/07/19 »
I no longer wear shorts and I always wear long sleeves, hope it helps?

Two celebs have Lyme's Disease that I know of, Shania Twain and Avril Leverne, just read it somewhere?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:11:35, 31/07/19 »
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong