Author Topic: Which Smart phone mapping is best?  (Read 1282 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Which Smart phone mapping is best?
« Reply #45 on: 09:39:27, 12/08/19 »
A little “war story”.  I always use the “standard “ maps on my Garmin for navigation - OS in UK, Kompass in Austria etc. but I also have Freizeitkarte and CacheMap UK on my SD card as back up in case I walk off the map tiles I have downloaded.
Four years ago in Austria we were walking a ridge with the intention of descending from the end via a cable car.  When we got there, the cable car had stopped running owing to high winds so we were faced with a hike off the mountain. It was at this point I realised it meant we would walk off the map I was carrying and the corresponding map tile on my gps - bad planning I know.  As we fell off the map, I switched to the Freizeitkarte which not only got us down safely but also took us through the streets of the town at the bottom to the bus station.
The free maps may lack the detail of the better maps but they will “get you home”.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 22:59:40, 12/08/19 »
Perfect! OS map download does what I need and I can record tracks too so thank you everyone for helping. Now I need to work out how not to fill my phone with OS maps..... :)
Not sure what the limit is but I currently have 22 OSmaps loaded and active, on my second hand S5 from flea bay.  Handles them smoothly without any issues.  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 23:02:12, 12/08/19 »
A little “war story”.  I always use the “standard “ maps on my Garmin for navigation - OS in UK, Kompass in Austria etc. but I also have Freizeitkarte and CacheMap UK on my SD card as back up in case I walk off the map tiles I have downloaded.
Four years ago in Austria we were walking a ridge with the intention of descending from the end via a cable car.  When we got there, the cable car had stopped running owing to high winds so we were faced with a hike off the mountain. It was at this point I realised it meant we would walk off the map I was carrying and the corresponding map tile on my gps - bad planning I know.  As we fell off the map, I switched to the Freizeitkarte which not only got us down safely but also took us through the streets of the town at the bottom to the bus station.
The free maps may lack the detail of the better maps but they will “get you home”.

Ninthace, which maps did you use for NewZealand?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 00:59:09, 13/08/19 »

Ninthace, which maps did you use for NewZealand?
Mapping in NZ is not great compared with ours - sorry to any Kiwis reading.  The NZ equivalent of our OS is LINZ.  There is no Garmin equivalent to the Birdseye OS mapping imagery based on LINZ.  I managed, with advice from sussamb to download Open Source maps of NZ with a Topo overlay onto my Garmin.  It was not hugely successful as a map but it was usable.
If you have ViewRanger you can subscribe to LINZ mapping in a similar way to the VR subscription to OS in this country.  You can subscribe monthly, it wasn’t a lot of credits.  I plotted my routes in advance of my trip and saved the gpx files to OneDrive so I could pull down the traces to my phone when I wanted and when I had Wi-fi.  I duplicated the library of traces onto my Garmin SD card as I did not have access to Basecamp during the trip.  On the trip I used VR with LINZ as my main aid with the trace on Garmin as a backup.  I recorded the.walk on both VR and Garmin.
You can buy paper LINZ maps but I did not bother as I had A4 printouts of possible walks anyway. Walking in NZ tends to be on trails which are usually well marked.  You should be aware there is no equivalent system of public footpaths as such.  Private land is just that.
Our best walk was the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.  You will need to book it as it is a point to point walk and you cannot leave cars at either end for more than 4 hours.  The route is well marked and there is a stream of people on it.  Most people stay in the National Park and get bussed to the start.  The buses have a system of accounting for you so you will not get left behind.
We are off to NZ again in Oct/Nov as Ninthace Minor as just produced a little Ninthace of his own.  This time we will be based in Rotorua.  Do you have a planned area to visit?
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 21:17:12, 13/08/19 »
Further to my last.  Just found there is an app called NZ Topo for the iPhone and iPad.  There may be an equivalent for Android.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 21:43:21, 13/08/19 »
Our rough plan is. Fly into Auckland. Jump a plane to Christchurch.  Pick up a hire car or may be a camper.  Down to Akaroa then back up and across to mount Cook. Then make our way up to Blenheim.  Over to Wellington to see number one and only son. Then up to New Plymouth, with son and his girlfriend, to hopefully climb, Mount Taranaki.  Finally over to Rotorua and back to Auckland for the plane homeward.  Only thing booked so far is the flights to Auckland.  Much detail to fill in. Fortunately we both enjoyed driving and walking.  :)  Any other recommends Welcome.  I should probably kick off a separate thread.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 21:47:55, 13/08/19 »
Further to my last.  Just found there is an app called NZ Topo for the iPhone and iPad.  There may be an equivalent for Android.
I will take a look. I have found several online live maps using the openmapping data from LINZ.  But as yet have no off line tool up and running.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 22:17:55, 13/08/19 »
  I should probably kick off a separate thread.
  Good idea.  My DiL's family farms near New Plymouth.  Ninthace minor climbed Taranaki for his stag party.
Solvitur Ambulando