Author Topic: Maps and Walking in New Zealand  (Read 173 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Maps and Walking in New Zealand
« on: 22:43:15, 13/08/19 »
So before Ninthace and I bury the previous thread on mobile apps. I thought it time to open up a separate thread.

Good idea.  My DiL's family farms near New Plymouth.  Ninthace minor climbed Taranaki for his stag party.

I downloaded the NZ topomap app.  Great tool.  I took a snapshot of the greater area around Mount Taranaki. Then closed the app, switched off my WiFi connection and opened the app.  The whole lot is now saved on my android tablet, including the aerial photos of the area.

I am hoping my son, he is in Wellington, wlll download it, to his to see how it performs with live GPS.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Maps and Walking in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: 23:05:03, 13/08/19 »
That would be ideal. 
As I said, ViewRanger can do the same thing but requires an inexpensive subscription to get LINZ mapping. 

Donít know if you have been to NZ before but they are the friendliest, most helpful people I have met.  All the trails we walked were well marked.   I have have walked a trail on the slopes of Taranaki but not climbed it.  However I did spend an afternoon gliding over it up to cloud base and the paths looked good.  By all accounts it is a bit loose near the top.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:57:55, 17/08/19 »
First time in NZ for MrsG and I.  We have a month mid Nov to mid Dec.

Edd loaded up NZ Topo Map.  The GPS updates nice and quick.  The Cartography reminds me of the old one inch  series OS maps.  The cache allows you to down load some pretty big sections and you can store them on your SD card.  All for free, what's not to like, good find. O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:14:05, 17/08/19 »
Well done.  The Topo map did not work well for me on my Etrex.  See this thread http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37938.15

Sort of got it in the end but had a problem with contours.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:41:55, 17/08/19 »
I did read that thread originally, but I could not get the maps to run from those original links I could only down load static files to viiew as pictures.

The specific App  my son and I now have installed is....

NZ Topo Map,. By Mason Blackwood.

This is running pretty seamlessly on our Android devices.