Author Topic: Completely covering Kent  (Read 15475 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Completely covering Kent
« Reply #150 on: 16:22:19, 17/10/20 »
This morning, my wife and I drove the short distance to a local woods car park to do a woodland and farmland circuit. The drive was to allow us to explore an area between Tyler Hill and Broad Oak (just north of Canterbury), and to include some paths and tracks we've not walked before. The squiggle to the right on our route was us backtracking to find an entrance into the woods. 

Setting off into Blean Woods : Me posing by a cycle route sign, with my brand new body cam attached to my backpack strap.  :)

I hadn't intended to do a write up on this rather dull day, but we came across a very photogenic area of sunflowers where we took lots of photos.

Here are a couple of them...

Sunflowers aren't uncommon in this area, but we've never before seen them covering such a large area:

Wonderful as sunflowers are, it was the combination with purple tansy flowers that really made for a fantastic sight:

The squiggle on the map was all down to these mushrooms. We spotted them as we crossed a field, went over and took some photos, then walked along the side of the field looking for a way into the woods. With our way blocked by a barbed-wire fence, we eventually gave up and retraced our steps.

Nearing the end of our very pleasant 10 mile countryside amble, we found a nice group of Fly Agaric toadstools:

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Completely covering Kent
« Reply #151 on: 18:46:43, 18/10/20 »
For today's walk with daughter and grandsons, we parked in the lovely village of Wingham a few miles east of Canterbury. My daughter once worked in nearby Ash, but had only driven through Wingham on her way to work. So today was partly about her seeing more of this delightful part of Kent.

The route was as follows: take quiet country lanes and a woodland path to the Little Stour river. Walk alongside the river to the villages of Wickhambreaux and then Ickham, and return across farmland.

Setting off through leafy Wingham:

The entrance to the woods was through a very big gate!

We emerged from the woods and crossed a footbridge to join the riverside path to Wickhambreaux:

Cows on the other side; playing by a ford; and just playing...

The weir where we stopped for lunch and played a version of Pooh sticks:

The charming village of Wickhambreaux...

...and the church in equally charming Ickham:

Me racing my 5 year old grandson and being very determined to win, while my 7 year old grandson carried my backpack:  :)