Author Topic: Back on Dartmoor!  (Read 3466 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Back on Dartmoor!
« Reply #15 on: 14:18:47, 01/10/20 »
Got another walk in to day - so far keeping up my once-a-week regime.

Belstone, E around Cosdon, then S to Hound Tor, back over the summit of Cosdon and W along Belstone Cleave. Atrocious weather up there, quite a test, didn't see another soul (though the north moor was mostly closed for Army live firing). Took in the Cosdon triple stone rows which I have only seen once before.

Very relieved to get a hot lunch courtesy of a Trekmate pouch - amazingly efficient.

Enchanting walk up the Taw up Belstone Cleave, quite the magical woodland experience with an energetic upland river tumbling over the rocks in a gorge. Sorry I had always bypassed this before, well worth a second look.

If you carry on up the Taw you will pass the Ted Hughes Memorial and finish up close to Cranmere Pool.  It's a walk I find strangely wonderful and peaceful on really foggy days.  Sitting there, at Cranmere pool, just the gentle sounds of the living moor around you on such days, I find it quite bewitching.

thomasdevon

« Reply #16 on: 14:46:22, 01/10/20 »
Both these locations are on my list. I find walking through bad weather on Dartmoor so much more rewarding than on a warm summer's day, never went near the moor in the summer.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:47:07, 12/10/20 »
Both these locations are on my list. I find walking through bad weather on Dartmoor so much more rewarding than on a warm summer's day, never went near the moor in the summer.

Thomas, you might find this recent thread entertaining.  As another who loves Dartmoor in less than perfect conditions.  I may have found my threshold of fun vs just plain cold and wet through, a few weeks back. ;D

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=41028.0

thomasdevon

« Reply #18 on: 17:40:40, 12/10/20 »

Thomas, you might find this recent thread entertaining.  As another who loves Dartmoor in less than perfect conditions.  I may have found my threshold of fun vs just plain cold and wet through, a few weeks back. ;D

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=41028.0

Hah! Yes, that's a good read, thanks. Good to hear I'm not the only one soaked to the skin. Had to put plastic shopping bags on the car seat again today before I could drive home from Belstone. On the strength of experience 2 weeks ago the kit will take about 3 days to dry.

Nice walk though, I must say. Had a wonderful pot of tea at the little tea rooms as well before I got to the car. I made massive puddles on the floor but the nice leady didn't seem at all put out. :-)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:43:58, 12/10/20 »

Hah! Yes, that's a good read, thanks. Good to hear I'm not the only one soaked to the skin. Had to put plastic shopping bags on the car seat again today before I could drive home from Belstone. On the strength of experience 2 weeks ago the kit will take about 3 days to dry.

Nice walk though, I must say. Had a wonderful pot of tea at the little tea rooms as well before I got to the car. I made massive puddles on the floor but the nice leady didn't seem at all put out. :-)

Ah yes i know that tea room and the pub in Belstone. Great spot to kick off a walk but about as far from where I live in Saltash, as you can get on Dartmoor.  Meldon and the Dartmoor Inn at Brat Tor are my favourite start points.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:07:12, 12/10/20 »

Ah yes i know that tea room and the pub in Belstone. Great spot to kick off a walk but about as far from where I live in Saltash, as you can get on Dartmoor.  Meldon and the Dartmoor Inn at Brat Tor are my favourite start points.
I like the Tor Inn at Belstone, mind you, you are not properly dressed in there  without a dog!  Not so keen on the Dartmoor Inn but not a bad jumping off point.  Quite fond of the Oxenham Arms in South Zeal.  Now that is a pub with a history and even a pre-history.  The dining room ceiling is held up by a standing stone.
« Last Edit: 09:27:47, 13/10/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

thomasdevon

« Reply #21 on: 07:12:33, 13/10/20 »
I like the Tor Inn at Belstone, mind you, you are not properly dressed in their without a dog!  Not so keen on the Dartmoor Inn but not a bad jumping off point.  Quite fond of the Oxenham Arms in South Zeal.  Now that is a pub with a history and even a pre-history.  The dining room ceiling is held up by a standing stone.

Hmmm. The other people in the Belstone tea room both had a dog with them. What is it about dogs and tea rooms? Both were well-behaved and lay quietly on the floor but neither of them were masked.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:34:09, 13/10/20 »

Hmmm. The other people in the Belstone tea room both had a dog with them. What is it about dogs and tea rooms? Both were well-behaved and lay quietly on the floor but neither of them were masked.
Funny you mention the fact the dogs wore no mask in these times.  I asked a small terrier sitting quietly at the entrance to Spar where their mask was, only yesterday. The daft dog didn't seem to understand me though. :o ;)