Author Topic: Cross Fell(Teesdale)Circular  (Read 487 times)

strawy

Cross Fell(Teesdale)Circular
« on: 23:43:40, 24/01/20 »
On my list to do this year,setting off from Garrigill,route is up to Cross Fell & Great Dun Fell then back via Trout Beck & the Tyne Trail..
Just wondered if theres any difficult scrambling bits to be aware of going up to Cross Fell,not a lover of heights but i,m fine if theres not a huge drop off,i,ll be doing it alone so i dont want to add any risks..

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Cross Fell(Teesdale)Circular
« Reply #1 on: 07:35:30, 25/01/20 »
Great route, the Trout Beck section feels really remote and is usually deserted. Nothing even remotely scrambly there.

In fact you'd be hard pressed to find anything like that in the North Pennines (I guess you could try ascending High Cup Nick the hard way, there might be something there  :) )

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:47:00, 25/01/20 »
There are some uncovered mine shafts on the flanks of Cross Fell. Normally obvious, but could be highly dangerous if covered by heavy snowfall. The way up from Garrigill is easy - can't comment about your descent route.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:45:07, 25/01/20 »
An excellent day out. My route is here http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1609
Nothing remotely scrambly.  Navigation is easy apart from the section from Great Dun to the Tyne which requires a little more care.  The route is also at https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1914661/120416-Cross-Fell-Classic
« Last Edit: 08:52:07, 25/01/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:08:08, 25/01/20 »
There are some uncovered mine shafts on the flanks of Cross Fell. Normally obvious, but could be highly dangerous if covered by heavy snowfall. The way up from Garrigill is easy - can't comment about your descent route.
  If you stick to the offical Pennine Way route there is no danger from mineshafts.A short cut route from the top of Crossfell to Greg's hut as shown in Wainwright's guide book goes very close to open mine shafts.A walker fell down one of these shafts  in 1984 when a snow bridge collapsed.

forgotmyoldpassword

« Reply #5 on: 11:11:43, 25/01/20 »
Great route, the Trout Beck section feels really remote and is usually deserted. Nothing even remotely scrambly there.

In fact you'd be hard pressed to find anything like that in the North Pennines (I guess you could try ascending High Cup Nick the hard way, there might be something there  :) )

I've tried climbing a lot of those High Cup Nick areas and the general consensus in climber circuits is that if it isn't winter conditions - you're rolling the dice that a block doesn't come loose.  There is also the question of alpine saxifrage - High Cup Nick has one of the few (3) areas this still grows in England.

As to the area itself - it's a lovely walk from Garigill.  Pick a good day if possible!  I don't remember doing Cross Fell in anything resembling sunshine, it's always been clag or night.  There is also a route alternative which pushes you south past the three tarns to the top of High Cup Nick, join the Pennine Way then Crook Burn at the north of Cow Green Res.   It's a big day out but if you're a fast walker or a fell runner the change in terrain is superb.

strawy

« Reply #6 on: 04:52:08, 05/02/20 »
Thanks All..
I wont be doing it till the light gets better,it will be my longest day walk & i will be sticking rigidly to the ways,but its been on my list for some time,will (hopefully) let you know how i get on  ;)