Author Topic: Do you take any 'odd' foods with you on hiking trips?  (Read 1195 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I personally don't think it's odd but when I go for a hike I carry the usual with with me, nuts, wraps, a tube of cream cheese, a choccy bar or two etc and a few Radishes! When my mouth is dry and just drinking water doesn't do the trick, munching a couple of radishes usually helps a lot. I love em!

Sometimes when I wild camp I buy a couple of gin and tonic cans to help me pass the time in the evening. If I'm lucky I'll also remember to buy a small can of new potatoes as well. A couple of G & Ts and a few cold potatoes for me is a great way to watch the sun go down.

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
Re: Do you take any 'odd' foods with you on hiking trips?
« Reply #1 on: 13:28:39, 28/01/20 »
Not so odd, but I sometimes take dried dates or figs for energy & as a sweet snack while walking or resting. And of course they are full of vitamins and roughage too.
Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because it's excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience - Adam Smith

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:03:38, 28/01/20 »
I've never needed roughage!  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:38:21, 28/01/20 »
How on earth can you drink G&T without a fresh slice of lemon and some ice cubes?  This is just so lower deck!
Solvitur Ambulando

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:01:28, 28/01/20 »
How on earth can you drink G&T without a fresh slice of lemon and some ice cubes?  This is just so lower deck!
So a compact ice maker with be GWM`s next purchase..& don`t forget the little umbrellas.
Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because it's excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience - Adam Smith

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:03:08, 28/01/20 »
Nothing odd I'm afraid. I always take two small flapjacks and one small banana with me on any solo walk up to 20 miles or so. That's enough to last me until I get home for a late lunch...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:28:49, 28/01/20 »

utterly CONTEMPTIBLE! ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:32:05, 28/01/20 »
I take jelly babies on multi day walks to give an extra boost towards the end of a long day, or on a steep climb. First eaten I believe on the C2C at the top of Loft Beck when briefly lost in the clag.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:32:37, 28/01/20 »
I used to take a tin of mandarins for a juicy energy boost on a hot summer's day in the Carneddau.

But now I'm fairly minimalist - Stoats porridge bars my favourite belly timber, but any such thing will do, fruit and nuts, sandwiches on a day walk, oatcakes and squirty cheese or veg pate + kabanos or similar dried sausage for a wild camp (no stove in summer), with maybe a small bit of chocolate as a luxury item.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:35:32, 28/01/20 »
I take jelly babies on multi day walks to give an extra boost towards the end of a long day, or on a steep climb.
It has got to be Maynards Wine Gums.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:03:09, 28/01/20 »
Take a hip flask of single malt. That needs nothing added, apart from possibly a splash of mountain spring water. :)

zuludog

« Reply #11 on: 19:18:54, 28/01/20 »
No, nothing particularly odd or unusual, but this has reminded me

Years ago you could get cheap blocks of compressed dates, a bit bigger than a packet of 20 fags; I remember that they were 50p, but I haven't seen them for years. I wonder what happened to them?

There were also similarly sized blocks of compressed bananas , and figs, but they weren't as common

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:57:14, 28/01/20 »
Compressed dates are still available - look in the baking aisles of the supermarkets. We have a (half eaten) packet in our kitchen cupboards.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:58:05, 28/01/20 »
Take a hip flask of single malt. That needs nothing added, apart from possibly a splash of mountain spring water. :)

That's more like it. Or even just a miniature.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:01:50, 28/01/20 »

Why pollute good spring water?