Author Topic: Drug taking and hiking.  (Read 646 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Drug taking and hiking.
« on: 15:27:09, 01/02/20 »
I was reading an article from a USA paper recently (look for it but can't find the article again) about injuries and deaths which can be atributed to drug taking when people are hiking.

A few years ago I was hiking the C2C and camped on the bank of a small brook about 100yds away from the pub at Ennerdalebridge. Two young American girls (about 20 years old I think) then pitched their tent about 25 yds from me. We exchanged hellos. I went to the pub and when I returned these two young women were 'out of their heads' with some drug or other.

Not a pretty sight!

andyapanel

Re: Drug taking and hiking.
« Reply #1 on: 16:10:43, 01/02/20 »
Madness....
and probably expensive.

motorlaunch

« Reply #2 on: 17:34:05, 01/02/20 »
Couldn't manage without Ibuprofen. ;)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:38:01, 01/02/20 »
I forgot to explain that when the young women were setting up their tent I talked awhile with them and was told that they had recently finished their degrees (told me from Harvard) and we're now taking this holiday for a few weeks. They told me that they were due soon to take up new jobs on Wall Street, their first-ever employment.

The next morning they were gone!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:15:19, 02/02/20 »
I found chewing coca leaves very helpful when doing the Inca Trail
So many paths, so little time

myxpyr

« Reply #5 on: 17:37:12, 02/02/20 »
Helpful for what?
Oh dear, what a shame, never mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbLgLcENvEc

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:06:36, 02/02/20 »
I went to the pub and when I returned these two young women were 'out of their heads' with some drug or other.

Not a pretty sight!
But probably no worse than if they had been to the pub with you and had too much to drink.

A police officer friend of mine used to say that if alcohol was invented now it would be a class A drug.
Over hill, over dale. Thorough brush, thorough brier....
I do wander every where

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:52:23, 02/02/20 »
I can assure you that although I do drink alcohol I do NOT get drunk as such, one of the benefits of old age for me is to know my personal limit. If I'm hiking its 2 pints and a meal, if I'm home it can be from 2-4 pints, depending on the company I'm with and if I drink alone in a local pub it's 1.

When I identified the young women as 'not a pretty sight' it was because they were lolling and falling about all over the place, half in and half out of their tent, mumbling and rambling, their eyes were up 'in the back' of their sockets and they were not in touch, as I understand the word, of the reality of where they were or had any personal awareness of the possible danger they could have been in. 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:19:14, 02/02/20 »
But probably no worse than if they had been to the pub with you and had too much to drink.

A police officer friend of mine used to say that if alcohol was invented now it would be a class A drug.
Except alcohol is not a Class A drug, and there is very little likelihood of a single drink killing someone or getting them addicted. Most alcohol we drink is pure, from a traceable source and with a known concentration of the intoxicant. This cannot be said of illicitly obtained drugs.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:57:36, 02/02/20 »

GWM, we are obviously ideal drinking partners, I also have 2-4 pints these days.

I am definitely NOT advocating legalising any drugs nor have I ever taken any, despite working in a world where it was easily obtainable. But if they were legal then they would be of a known strength and purity just as, if alcohol wasn't legal, we would be drinking moonshine laced with de-icer. Which could run the risk of killing us with one drink.
Over hill, over dale. Thorough brush, thorough brier....
I do wander every where

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:18:58, 02/02/20 »
Helpful for what?

My traveller wife told me it helps overcome the effects of high altitude.

Pitboot

« Reply #11 on: 07:16:10, 03/02/20 »

My bro in law went on an expedition to Peru, all of their porters chewed coca leaf, and when he tried it the effects of altitude were lessened, or so he said.
When I was serving in the army in Belize a jungle cure for toothache, and a few other problems, was to rub a crushed coca leaf on the affected area. Coca is the raw plant product and is not addictive. We were taught this on an army run course, in an army that has severe penalties for drug abuse.
Other non medication remedies included eating a bit of charcoal if you have the runs, and a tea spoon of petrol to sort out constipation. I would not recommend any of these unless you are desperate!

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:38:36, 03/02/20 »
I've done a lot of drug taking and drinking in my life and reaearched both quite a bit as well. Alcohol might not be in the misuse of drugs act but it's a potent drug, one of the strongest that's readily available and highly addictive.

Except alcohol is not a Class A drug, and there is very little likelihood of a single drink killing someone or getting them addicted.

Addicts basically start their addiction with the first drink. I've used heroin and crack on a number of occasions and didn't become addicted. I know others like me. Alcohol was by far the most problematic drug for me. A bit of hearsay that proves nothing, when I was under counselling for ialcohol abuse years ago my worker told me alcoholics and crack users were the hardest people to rehabilitate.

I know a lot of people who've taken drugs. None of them have died. The risks are overblown. Only one of them ended up in A&E, the drug that caused that was diazepam (Valium), a prescription medication. A few ended up there from drinking.

Now I basically don't drink (very rarely as a social ritual or for flavour), the last time was in 2018. I don't use drugs either. I'm no longer an addict.

While you can use alcohol and it not be a problem same thing can be said of most other drugs. They're not all the same thing, cannabis and crack are as different as alcohol and crack if not more so.

Don't have a strong opinion on if they should be legal or not. I lean (just about) towards yes. Some definitely should, MDMA for example is statistically safer than horse riding and people get empathic on it instead of fearless and potentially violent, it's much more sensible for social gatherings than alcohol. Alcohol really is a bad drug with bad effects and if there were more choice people might have better experiences and behave better. If you're going to keep them all illegal you should ban alcohol too.