Author Topic: womens jacket pockets  (Read 263 times)

JennyW

womens jacket pockets
« on: 10:39:39, 09/02/20 »
I live in London and I do a lot of walking in and around the city in all weathers, so clearly don't wear full hiking gear for that, but it is necessary to have a windproof and waterproof coat that looks OK.  I loved the Berghaus Elara womens jacket but I found only had 2 pockets, (zipped) so you can put your gloves in but there's no secure pocket for keys, wallet etc.  Can any other women here suggest a coat that looks good and is fully waterproof, but is also practical in that you don't need to carry a handbag with it  :-\ .....thanks

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: womens jacket pockets
« Reply #1 on: 10:44:30, 09/02/20 »
I donít think it is just womenís jackets that are lacking in pockets. My old Berghaus Mera Peak II had very large pockets with bellows at the booth and pretty large chest pockets. There was also an internal map pocket. The more recent jackets all seem to have a much tighter fit and much smaller pockets, which doesnít really suit me. The only jackets I have found that are anywhere near the old jacket are by Jack Wolfskin (and these are as good as the pockets on my old jacket). I imagine that JE isnít do a similar jacket for women.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:52:57, 09/02/20 »
Try Tog24. They are truly waterproof etc if you get the right ones. I have two, both have plenty of pockets, pit zips etc. My older one is 6 years old, worn almost every day, for everything, and I have just given up on it as the higher pockets have worn through and the seams are now gaping. Probably caused by keys, coins, pruning shears, Stanley knives, etc. On top of  my general misuse.

Still good for the Allotment.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:02:02, 09/02/20 »
If I'm out and need to carry a bit more than usual, or if I'm out in the city on my bike, I solved my problem by buying a lightweight close fitting Columbia 'waistcoat' more than enough pockets for this and that. Goes under any of my jackets, perfect!

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:16:50, 09/02/20 »
If I'm out and need to carry a bit more than usual, or if I'm out in the city on my bike, I solved my problem by buying a lightweight close fitting Columbia 'waistcoat' more than enough pockets for this and that. Goes under any of my jackets, perfect!

Which vest have you got?
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:33:14, 09/02/20 »
I know that it's made by Columbia, it's a light colour, the materials are lightweight, it has various pockets, has no sleeves, has a full-length zip (just like a gilet) and I chose one to fit me closely rather than loosely. I wear it a lot, usually over my base layer and under my shirt, or over my shirt, all depends on how I feel that day. Especially useful when catching a plane, pockets for passport, money, phone and so on and obviously good when I'm riding my bike and want to keep both hands free. It looks like one of those 'hunting and fishing' type gilets but this is more of a vest rather than an outer garment. Over the years its been washed and washed but it's still in very good shape. I don't know what name or model it is, I'll have a close look at it shortly (it's pouring hard at the moment and my garage is 150 yds away)  to see if I can see a name or something and get back with the details?

The funny thing is that I didn't buy it. A few years ago in my local shopping centre, we had a Columbia shop (it's gone now) and just before closing time as I was walked past, the vest was just lying on a bench, brand new in its original wrapping and in a plastic bag and no one around. I picked it up and took it to the shop believing that someone had just bought it and had not realised they had left it behind. The shop took my details and about two weeks later they phoned me saying they could not find out who had purchased it and no one had contacted them about it either. They asked me to call in, which I did and they gave it to me free of charge.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:02:44, 09/02/20 »
I've just had a look at my Columbia vest, sorry, no information, all of the print on the labels have been washed away.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:12:03, 09/02/20 »
I've just had a look on the Columbia site, my model is obviously no longer made but their Silver Ridge 2 vest is like mine but modernised. When I was given my vest I did find out that at the time it cost £40, its always been a very useful garment for me simply because I can wear it in all sorts of ways.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:23:09, 09/02/20 »
An alternative might be something like Craghoppers Kiwi trousers. These have lots of pockets.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:20:56, 09/02/20 »
I've just had a look at my Columbia vest, sorry, no information, all of the print on the labels have been washed away.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to look. It sounds like something that could be useful when I have a few things to carry but don't want to carry a rucksack or bag. I don't want anything insulated, just some pockets.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:24:13, 09/02/20 »
Actually what about a bumbag. Does everything as needed in the op.
Too little, too late, too bad......