Author Topic: SPOT Tracker ...or?  (Read 179 times)

lightweightmick

SPOT Tracker ...or?
« on: 16:55:54, 02/03/20 »
Thankfully SPOT now don't insist on a 12 month minimum term any more. I reckon it'll cost around 60 for a month's use inc. the 10 registration fee...
I have two units (Gen1 and Gen3) but found signal could be patchy - as reported on Slogger's coverage of my last (2106) effort on foot as it didn't update for over an hour (or thereabouts) one morning (only vale of Mowbray...) - hence reviving that old thread!
 I also had problems cancelling my subscription with them which cost me dearly when thracker wasn't used at all during that period - you have to register a credit card (or did at the time anyway...)

On my last mixed 'foot and bike' effort I just used the FollowMee phone app which worked suprisingly well and I only lost signal from Rossett Gill to the Dungeon Ghyll (Mickleden)

Another thing the 'FollowMee' route plot is still available to view two years on whereas the SPOT plot has long gone ( a.i.r. SPOT give you about two weeks?)

http://www.followmee.com/mapx.aspx?file=l/lightweightmick/C3FC.kml

The only advantage (though could be a big one!) is the satellite system allows for and emergency response via satellite.
The big question then (as we're advised to register to 112): Is a text, which requires only a very weak signal, going to be as effectice in an emergency as the SPOT SOS feature?
The SPOT batteries last and last, but the phone battery (now I can't swap batteries...) will certainly not benefit from running two apps...
Any thoughts..? What's to do..?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: SPOT Tracker ...or?
« Reply #1 on: 17:03:28, 02/03/20 »
BuddyBeacon in ViewRanger.
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #2 on: 17:11:44, 02/03/20 »
BuddyBeacon in ViewRanger.
Does it depend on a phone signal? If so how does it differ from 112 text?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:20:12, 02/03/20 »
Does it depend on a phone signal? If so how does it differ from 112 text?
  It needs a data signal to transmit your location so it does not to be more than one bar.  As I understand it, if it cannot find a signal when it wants to report your location, it will catch up when it gets one.  Its efficacy is therefore a function of your phone and network.  But it is very affordable as it is free.
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #4 on: 18:29:49, 02/03/20 »
  It needs a data signal to transmit your location so it does not to be more than one bar.  As I understand it, if it cannot find a signal when it wants to report your location, it will catch up when it gets one.  Its efficacy is therefore a function of your phone and network.  But it is very affordable as it is free.
Sounds good as you've still got the 112 text option (if registered - and no good reason not too...)Thanks I'll check it out. I currently use GPX Viewer and I don't think they have any similar...
I'm new here and this has probably been shared on here already, but no harm in sharing it again as he gives good advice on how to improve chances of getting that one emergency text away should we ever be unfortunate enough to need to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZv_8dABfU