Author Topic: Sea Eagles  (Read 1455 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Sea Eagles
« Reply #15 on: 16:14:35, 26/04/20 »
I have soared with vultures and buzzards but never managed to get an eagle on my wingtip.  Buzzards were fun.  If you got one alongside the inside wingtip, you could gradually bleed off the airspeed until they stopped flying and stalled out.  It was then that I found out that birds can give you a dirty look.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:19:33, 26/04/20 »
Just to make everyone jealous, I have seen both golden and white tailed eagles from my kitchen window!

My best sighting of Golden Eagles was on South Uist - I had a Sunday free whilst on a working trip (lucky me!), and was heading up Beinn Mhor when I spotted two eagles falling out of the sky, talons locked together.

PS - to those that are unfamiliar with them, the hills of South Uist are wonderfully rough and tough little mountains, despite their modest height, and the setting is beyond compare.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:32:56, 26/04/20 »
I have watched Kites, Buzzards, Griffon Vultures and Egyptian Vultures from the comfort of my own hot tub and all at the same time.  Does that count?
The Egyptian Vultures were not flying, they were hunting in the field opposite - they chase lizards and such on foot.
Solvitur Ambulando

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:23:39, 26/04/20 »
This is a fantastic site to see Sea/Bald/White Tailed Eagles and a whole lot more if you're into wildlife. The African cams and northern lights are great 👍
https://explore.org/livecams/raptor-resource-project/decorah-eagles

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:02:15, 26/04/20 »
Once travelling restrictions are gone, the northern side of Loch Torridon is usually good for golden eagles and I have seen several close up on the southern side of Loch Ewe. I have never got decent photos of them, even though they used to fly overhead in the mornings near the cottage we were renting - loads of midge bites though. I have managed some reasonable photos of the sea eagles on Rona & Raasay and others around Loch Shieldaig, including both adults and 2 newly fledged chicks. The chicks were huge and didnít seem that much smaller than the adults, the females of which have the longest wing span of any eagle.