Author Topic: Dare I even think it? Walking the Pennine Way without a pub to visit?  (Read 1004 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I'm hoping to hike the Pennine Way again this summer but the idea of doing it without pubs being open and beer (and food) being available is not my idea of fun. I worry that UK pubs may not be out of lockdown, or they may have gone out of business forever? Or maybe it will be an opportunity for new businesses to start along the route? I haven't had a pint in a pub for over 5 weeks now, I've saved money but thats all.

Marsden Moor

Was on about this other day with my brother in law who was also planning on doing the pennine way again this year, when he plans a long walk or even day walks itís got to involve or end at a pub for a pint as for me give me a cafe and a pot of tea any day

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
I read this morning that Cornish tourist based businesses estimate 80% could go bust, if they see no trade through the summer.  Seems a little high, but I think a lot could, having received very little income since last September.  :(

Ridge

• Veteran Member
2 months today should be the first day on the Pennine Way with my son.
If we are allowed to travel and walk and it looks like there will be places to get food of some sort then we will be going.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Fingers crossed for you both  O0
Where there's a will ...

forest view

Even when we are allowed to take guests again because of our age and health issues we will be keeping numbers down so that we can keep social distancing in our tiny bar and tiny restaurant. This will mean that after roughly 10 months of zero income and continued outgoings (including compliance for guests who don`t exist) our income will be roughly 2/5 of normal for a couple of months before the weather shuts the Pennine way for another year. Maybe 80% is about right but I hope not. Joyce
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I was on Skype last night talking to a friend about hiking the Pennine Way and it struck me that if I do the walk again (when restrictions are lifted) it will be the most depressing start to get off of the train at Edale, knowing that before I set off the following morning I won't be able to go into either pub en route to the starting point.

Its all to do with where I live, Portsmouth to Edale by train takes a few hours and I wouldn't be able to make it until well into the afternoon. I always have a preference to get myself organised, fed, and watered and then set off at dawn the next day.

I can see that in our Covid-19 world it will be of no benefit for me to hang around so I'm sure I will just adapt, start to hike the same day, wild camp somewhere, and ensure my hip flask is filled!

fernman

• Veteran Member
Its all to do with where I live, Portsmouth to Edale by train takes a few hours and I wouldn't be able to make it until well into the afternoon. I always have a preference to get myself organised, fed, and watered and then set off at dawn the next day.

Exactly the same with me. It takes me a few hours to drive about 235 miles on four motorways then A roads to Snowdonia, where I pitch on a camp site, have a pub dinner and a pint, and have a shower before starting my walk in the morning.