Author Topic: TR - More of the same  (Read 402 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - More of the same
« on: 09:05:43, 03/05/20 »
Yesterday's walk, as all my walks are at the moment, was a variation of Home, Cockfosters, Trent Park, cross the M25, wander about a bit, cross back over the M25, Trent Park, Cockfosters, Home.
I was on my own as Ridgedaughter, who has been walking with me a lot recently, has lots of college work to do.

As I walked up towards Trent Park there were a number of cars indicating to pull in to the main entrance and then finding it locked. As this has been closed for over a month they must have been people coming there for the first time since lockdown started.

Initially there were quite a lot of people about but after 10 minutes walking I was away from them only seeing a smattering of other walkers.

Walking similar routes so frequently I am seeing new things each time. I'd never noticed what I think are Lords and Ladies here before.

The Hawthorn was in full bloom

I found a new path to take which cut out some road walking then crossed under the M25. On previous jaunts I had walked along the northern edge of Fur and Pond woods Nature Reserve but today I found a new path leading in to it from the south. This followed Turkey Brook which was so clear that in this photo it looks as if there is no water at all.

I have followed sections of  Turkey Brook further down its course when walking the London Loop, when it is frequently a litter strewn trickle in a concrete culvert. It was nice to see it at this end looking so clean and fresh.
I didn't have a map with me but was enjoying following the brook so stayed with it while ever there was a vestige of a path even after I felt I should have turned north if I was going to get back to a path I knew.
Emerging from the woods and crossing a field I came to an underpass under the M25 which I hadn't known was there before.
I don't know how the graffiti artists found it out here but, as always, they had.
It was slightly waterlogged but I guessed it wouldn't be too deep.

Unfortunately I guessed wrong. In the shallowest bit I could find it was about 2" of standing water on top of 4" of slop. Fortunately I'd worn my boots as it easily came over the top of my feet as I tiptoed through. Once on the other side I found no sign of any path at all just an incredibly churned up field which looked like there had been construction traffic across it. I looked back at the underpass and decided to press on forwards knowing that at the top of the hill ahead of me was a road so long as I could find a way out on to it. I found some semi derelict farm buildings including a barn with a beautiful wooden frame inside but no way out. I then sneaked along the edge of a field and eventually emerged on to a private road. I tried to walk along as if I had every right to be there past a handful of very nice houses some of which had people in the gardens.
I breathed a sigh of relief as I regained the public highway.

Back on paths I know well I met 2 other 'real' walkers complete with boots, map and rucksacks. We greeted each other, from a distance, like long lost friends. Back in Trent Park I took a narrow, little used path, to try and avoid people. Fortunately I met no one coming the other way apart from a spaniel in full, flappy-eared gallop as the cow parsley was attempting to swamp it.

After a few days of being sedentary this was just over 10 miles of complete joy.

« Last Edit: 09:11:14, 03/05/20 by Ridge »

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - More of the same
« Reply #1 on: 11:04:37, 03/05/20 »
Great pics Ridge O0
Glad you got out, although that spooky underpass looks right out of 28 days later :)
show your love for Lady Nature. And she will come back again.
www.karlswalks.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:53:06, 03/05/20 »
Nice one, Ridge! 10 miles though? A bit more than my local walks, I shall have to stop complaining.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:58:42, 03/05/20 »
Thanks Karl
If I'd know what was waiting for me at the other side of the underpass I may have given it a miss. Having checked it out on a map there is no access to the underpass, it is just on a farm track, yet all the inside was covered in large graffiti works not just quick scrawls.

and thanks Fernman
I know I'm lucky compared to a lot of Londoners that I can get out to fields with in a 10 min walk and then I just work out loops of varying lengths. Though it is really hard to make a route that doesn't take me past where you used to park your van on Ferny Hill, I always end up doing the same section of path there.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:39:18, 03/05/20 »
Good photos   :)   Love the hawthorn and cow parsley

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:06:57, 03/05/20 »
Nice pics Ridge  O0 Everything is growing and flowering at the minute  :)

I'm the same as you have done almost 10 miles yesterday and today but never more than 2.5 miles away from my house as the crow flies.
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:02:20, 03/05/20 »
Thanks ladies.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:35:07, 03/05/20 »
Nice pics Ridge, I think I would have said no chance to that underpass!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:13:50, 03/05/20 »
Thanks pdstsp. What does your name mean or did you just thump the keyboard when joining the forum?

The underpass was one of those times when you set off thinking that it will probably be OK and then get to a point when going back feels worse than going forward. A bit like on a proper walk when you set off scrambling up a bit of a crag and then start to have second thoughts as it gets tougher and you can't decide if going back is better than going on.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:56:53, 03/05/20 »
Know what you mean!

pdstsp dates back to 1993 when I opened an aol account on an old 14mps dial up internet connection. I tried getting an email address with my name, but even back then they were up to about 1800 Paul Shxxxxxx. My initials are pds, my  business initials at the time were tsp, and I have used the combination on several fora since.

There, full explanation. O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:18:51, 03/05/20 »
An interesting outing and pics, well explored and a good 10 miles.  O0
Those wet looking concrete underpasses and similar structures usually have solid ground just beneath the water level but not always!. The graffiti artists are endlessly inventive when finding blank canvasses to work on.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:37:25, 03/05/20 »
Thanks vg. There was a concrete base which is why I thought it would be OK but, because it is in a deep dip and a few feet from the underpass it was just a track, loads of mud had washed down in to it over the years.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:53:31, 03/05/20 »

Nice walk, Ridge.  O0

Fortunately I met no one coming the other way apart from a spaniel in full, flappy-eared gallop as the cow parsley was attempting to swamp it.

As a spaniel owner, this made me smile.  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:11:56, 03/05/20 »
I did think of Tess at the time.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:32:59, 04/05/20 »
More good pics  O0
Wonder if a certain member still walks with a certain spaniel? Just off to check n see when he last logged in....
feb this year. Just ignore my ramblings!
« Last Edit: 11:39:02, 04/05/20 by pleb »