Author Topic: TR - EVEN more of the same  (Read 608 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - EVEN more of the same
« on: 17:08:12, 07/05/20 »
I'm going to have to think of more imaginative TR titles.

Today's walk was similar to others but slightly extended. If you know the area at all I went Cockfosters, Trent Park, under M25, Northaw, Cuffley, under M25, Crews Hill, Trent Park, Cockfosters.

I know it is a cliche to say it but one of the joys of repeatedly walking a similar route, perhaps the only joy, is seeing the subtle shift as blackthorn gives way to hawthorn etc. First there are just a few horse chestnut flowers and then suddenly every tree is covered.

Horse chestnut in Trent Park, this one is always early and has nearly finished flowering.

I'd made a fairly early start but it was already getting warm and it was nice to be in the shade of the wood.

Even more pics of hawthorn

This watertower, built in 1905 is now a house. Despite it being so tall it is very hard to get a good pic of it.

Wisteria covered cottage on the way to Northaw.

The buttercups have gone mad at the moment.

This drainage ditch was a mass of flowers between the fields.

Pretty cottage amongst the fields.

Crossing back under the M25 I headed in to Crews Hill which is a very strange place. Scattered along the road are a pub, a train station and about 7 houses which are outnumbered by the garden centres which jostle for space up the road.

I had to take a footpath through a golf course. Last time I came this way I thought I had gone the wrong way through the carpark so today i went another way which felt even more wrong. Why will golf clubs not put up signs!

There were signs warning me not to trespass on the railway, which is hard to comply with when the ROW crosses the line.

Gorgeous weather and very few people about added up to a lovely time. At 16.8 mile it was further than I thought and I had to push on a bit to get home for a lunch time works meeting on Zoom.

« Last Edit: 20:45:10, 07/05/20 by Ridge »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - EVEN more of the same
« Reply #1 on: 17:26:43, 07/05/20 »
Look like a good day out - looking forward to something similar tomorrow - younger daughter is even threatening to come with me!

Lovely horse chestnut tree.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:41:07, 07/05/20 »
Lovely pics Ridge  O0

Know what you mean about TR titles, what DO you name them atm?  :-\

16.8 miles   :o   O0  O0  O0

You rebel you  :D  ;)

If I didn't have a double blister on my little toe, I may try to do more than 9.75 miles tomorrow  :(

PS Don't mention [censored] technology to me, I had a skype meeting today, I was "muted" every time I tried to speak. I might as well have not been there  ::) PS I don't speak out loud in groups that much, think Todd Anderson the character in Dead Poet's Society played by Ethan Hawke.
« Last Edit: 18:49:55, 07/05/20 by April »
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:04:31, 07/05/20 »
Great local pics again  O0
Buttercup meadows, and all wild flower meadows, are a very welcome sight, much favoured by butterflies.

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:41:02, 07/05/20 »
A real delight to view. Yes indeed, those changes in the colours, are what make a route different every time. O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:07:39, 07/05/20 »
Thanks everyone, it was a really lovely morning and very few people about. I even stopped and had a chat with  couple of other walkers.

16.8 miles   :o   O0 O0 O0

You rebel you  :D ;)
I save up my time and then have a long walk every few days.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:57:12, 07/05/20 »
Some really nice photos there, Ridge.
Hawthorn is a lovely tree, vibrant green leaves, beautiful flowers, and then berries for the birds in winter.
The buttercups remind me of our field in Orkney - https://i.ibb.co/2ZwRnMd/Buttercups.jpg
And that wisteria is gorgeous - we ordered one online, and got a half dead stick 4 inches high - it is alive - just.
I notice that your horse chestnut flowers are pure white - the ones that I photographed a few days ago has splashes of pink and yellow on the white blooms - https://i.ibb.co/N1zcxks/429a-Horse-Chestnut.jpg

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:30:11, 07/05/20 »
Thanks Richard. that's quite a lot of buttercups.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:10:31, 09/05/20 »
I notice that your horse chestnut flowers are pure white - the ones that I photographed a few days ago has splashes of pink and yellow on the white blooms
Saw these today, the flowers higher up the tree were even stronger pink

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:53:13, 11/05/20 »
Gorgeous. There are pink flowered varieties of Horse Chestnut too - there's one down in the Grange Community Orchard that I must go and take a look at.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:48:48, 11/05/20 »
That tree is one of 2 very old trees at the end of our road.
Not that I'm one to name drop but our garden was landscaped by Capability Brown so there is the possibility that the trees are from the original planting scheme.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:41:15, 11/05/20 »
Great pics. The wild flowers by the stream are lovely - always amazing what nature can do without our help- that little cottage is definitely too cute.
but 16.8 miles before lunch!!!!!!
So many paths, so little time

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:34:39, 11/05/20 »
Thanks Jac.
I did leave home at 8.00am so it was a 5 hour morning walk.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:15:39, 11/05/20 »
Love the gingerbread house!

And that field of buttercups - you could be in Swaledale.  Did you stoop to pick a buttock up?

I'm tired of people bein' ugly to each other. It feels like pieces of glass in my head. - John Coffey, The Green Mile

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:39:00, 11/05/20 »
Did you stoop to pick a buttock up?
I would have if it hadn't been for social distancing.