Author Topic: Being inqusitive when hiking  (Read 1196 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Being inqusitive when hiking
« on: 15:19:00, 10/05/20 »
When I hike I always try to be interested in the world around me, the wildlife and fauna, the animals and birds, architecture, naming hills and so on, plus what has always grabbed my attention, people who fly flags!

I was reminded of this on VE day when I noticed all over the city there were flags and bunting in lots of streets, even in our street as well. In our street two types were very obvious, those who had bought Union Jacks and those that bought England flags only, it crossed my mind, was it deliberate or did they just buy what was available at the time?

I've seen flags in lots of places, Welsh ones and English ones along the Offas Dyke route, Scottish flags in Scotland, I've even seen a few flown in England, I've seen national flags displayed in France and in Spain as well, plus quite a few 'local' flags, especially when I hiked in the Basque region of Spain.

When my son was around 12 (he's now 31) it was already noticed that quite a few people in our area had flags flying in their gardens or from a balcony, again either Union Jacks or England flags so the school devised a questionnaire to ask people about why they feel the need or wanted to do it. It fitted neatly into their studies of the First World War at the time. I remember going to a few houses with him, clipboard and pen in hand, to ask if they would be willing to answer the questions, no one said no at the time. My son was very surprised as were some of his classmates to find out how so many flag flyers were anti-this, anti-that and anti the other. He's always been a bit suspicious of flag flyers ever since.

When hiking have you a particular interest which you like looking out for?

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Being inqusitive when hiking
« Reply #1 on: 15:31:32, 10/05/20 »
The geology and how it effects the landscape. The flora and fauna, to what extent it's been altered by man.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:37:28, 10/05/20 »
The geology and how it effects the landscape. The flora and fauna, to what extent it's been altered by man.

+1

and anything else that looks interesting
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:56:40, 10/05/20 »
Sorry, I forgot about the subject of geology. I know nothing about the subject but my daughter in law's mother was a Geologist for a big oil company, she is now a teacher. When I'm hiking I'm always sending her Instagram photos of rocks, sand, layers of this, and that, she always knows the answer! My best one this year was when hiking on Maderia when I came across a 12" layer of rough sand, about 20yds of it was visible, to the right of my footpath, I could see that there was solid rock below it and a mountain of rock above it!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:12:52, 11/05/20 »
Curious this is in the international section, so I hope my curiosities are not out of place. I have all the usual interests, wildlife / fauna and flora, geology too. Having been brought to expect that I would be a farmer for all my life, the agricultural practices and the effect on the surrounding countryside also interest me deeply without a great desire to campaign one way or the other.

However my many posts on the subject of access is perhaps more driven by curiosity of terrain and how access into it can improve quality of way.

From an early age, staying at the Climbers club Hut at Helyg and looking at the east face of Tryfan, I think I had an early insight into the motives that has driven climbers to seek out routes for their quality. Combine this with the first half of my life spent in Agriculture I am able to converse with the occupiers of the countryside than perhaps many other visitors, with greater insight. This has endowed Mrs BWW and myself with experiences well beyond the promises of the so called experts, who publish guides.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Birdman

« Reply #5 on: 16:48:56, 24/07/20 »
Flora and fauna. Really how the whole habitat "works" and how everything is related and dependent on everything else. In addition to that I always make a list of the bird species that I come across.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/