Author Topic: TR - Northern Howgills  (Read 638 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Northern Howgills
« Reply #15 on: 19:48:17, 21/05/20 »
A great clear day and views in the underrated Howgills  O0
Highly recommended for beating your leg muscles into shape, and don't mention Yarlside right now, I feel shattered just thinking about it.  :)
It was, and long may they remain underrated in the eyes of the masses.

Yarlside was particularly brutal, but my 59 year old legs didn't suffer too badly - living up the hill in Grange-over-Sands is good practice.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:24:33, 21/05/20 »
What a fab looking outing.  I love the view down the Bowderdale valley.  That Yarlside looks a bit "eeek" though  :o

The Howgills were going to get "Mel'd" this summer.  A holiday I've sadly had to cancel so thanks for exploring them for me  O0 
I'm tired of people bein' ugly to each other. It feels like pieces of glass in my head. - John Coffey, The Green Mile

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:05:57, 22/05/20 »
Thanks Mel, a pleasure exploring them for you.

I'm sure that the Howgills will still be there for you when lockdown is over- including Yarlside!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:34:37, 22/05/20 »
That look a "proper" walk.  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:19:23, 22/05/20 »
That look a "proper" walk.  O0
Felt like a proper walk too!  :buck2:
That cold beer in the garden was good.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:52:00, 22/05/20 »
Can't get better than the hills to yourselves, beautiful scenery and a new 'patch' to explore.  Lovely pics, brought the place back and definitely a good spot for a solitary wild camp in the future.  I thought the same as you regarding water sources, it gets a bit barren when you're doing a route along the tops on a warm day - think I ended up dropping right the way down to the base of Yarlside to pick up some water then re-ascending it all.  Wouldn't do that again  ;D

The Calf + Hazelgill Knotts is a route worth doing if you get a chance to go back, plus if you're up for some summer gardening, Weasdale nurseries are well regarded and worth a drop in on the way home.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:07:01, 22/05/20 »
Thanks for the reply.  :)
We only met 4 people all day, but saw a few others at a distance. Very quiet.

... think I ended up dropping right the way down to the base of Yarlside to pick up some water then re-ascending it all.  Wouldn't do that again  ;D 

Don't like the sound of that at all!

And yes, the Hazelgill Knotts ridge looks like a good way up onto the tops.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:00:56, 22/05/20 »

wombat

« Reply #23 on: 21:33:41, 23/05/20 »
Hi Richard, just shown my wife the weatherbeaten man with dog photo, and at first glance she thought it was me !!  :) , she thought i was at work that day and didn't know i had a dog, lol,  ???

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:57:41, 24/05/20 »
Hi Richard, just shown my wife the weatherbeaten man with dog photo, and at first glance she thought it was me !!  :) , she thought i was at work that day and didn't know i had a dog, lol,  ???

The truth is out!

Creepy that I have a doppelganger though. ;D