Author Topic: Wild flowers.  (Read 602 times)

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
Wild flowers.
« on: 15:09:00, 24/05/20 »
Wild flowers being allowed to bloom on road side verges .. :) :)
" Plantlife Cymru has campaigned for better protection of these areas since 2013, pointing to a 20% drop in the UK's floral diversity since 1990 . "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52708577
Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because it's excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience - Adam Smith

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild flowers.
« Reply #1 on: 18:34:00, 24/05/20 »
Another positive effect, let's hope the idea gains traction. They might learn that making everywhere pristine and sanitized is not a good thing, unkempt wildflower meadows are a delight and are far more beneficial to butterflies etc.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:04:15, 24/05/20 »
Another positive effect, let's hope the idea gains traction. They might learn that making everywhere pristine and sanitized is not a good thing, unkempt wildflower meadows are a delight and are far more beneficial to butterflies etc.
This afternoon I was watching a bee moving between dandelion flowers on our ‘lawn’. Last week I saw some goldfinches feeding on some dandelion clocks at the bottom of the garden. I would much rather see the wildlife than see a pristine lawn. In any case, I quite like the yellow and white carpet of dandelions and daisies.

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:00:21, 24/05/20 »
It could well be my imagination I know, but the trees and vegetation seem greener , the bird song sounds louder, and the wild flowers even out on the hills look stronger.  ???
Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because it's excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience - Adam Smith