Author Topic: Oakhampton Station Closed  (Read 408 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Oakhampton Station Closed
« on: 19:50:33, 24/05/20 »
Mrs G and I decided to walk the Granite way to Oakhampton today and then back along the Two Castles way. It's a lovely simple route and the traffic is light on the A30 at present, so it was the perfect day to walk it.

At Meldon Viaduct station we were expecting the cafe to be shut, but the entire station was closed.  It wasn't until we arrived at Oakhampton and read the notice on the ticket office door, that we fully understood the situation.  The entire branch line from Crediton up to Meldon, went into administration back in February. Closing 3 stations.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2020/02/dartmoor-railway-goes-into-administration.html

The station at Oakhampton is I gather, owned by the council and was looking ship shape, if very shut.  I very much hope network rail take on the line and re-open it soon.  The local economy needs every link it can get.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Oakhampton Station Closed
« Reply #1 on: 20:11:27, 24/05/20 »
A bargain opportunity for the government to buy up the entire line to Plymouth!  Gotta be cheaper than keeping the Dawlish to Teignmouth section going.  Just put a cow catcher on the front of the train to sweep up all those walkers and cyclists.  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Oakhampton Station Closed
« Reply #2 on: 20:24:19, 24/05/20 »
A bargain opportunity for the government to buy up the entire line to Plymouth!  Gotta be cheaper than keeping the Dawlish to Teignmouth section going.  Just put a cow catcher on the front of the train to sweep up all those walkers and cyclists.  :)
I'll tell Mrs G what you said and then your in for it.  ;D

I got a great Photo of a bull while we were out, might have to post that one up now.