Author Topic: TR - Watery Lane  (Read 378 times)

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
TR - Watery Lane
« on: 13:23:12, 26/05/20 »
Near us we have the wonderfully-named Watery Lane. Yesterday we went for a walk there as we wanted to cool off.

Now, on the OS map, it is a standard yellow road.

But here it is in reality.

And no, that isn't in flood. That's actually pretty low. It actually carries on for a few hundred metres round the corner in the distance, never getting deeper than my knees. Wonderful hot weather walking!

Here's one end, where it turns and joins a more normal looking river.

As we went along, there were loads of beautiful demoiselles.

Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Watery Lane
« Reply #1 on: 13:41:38, 26/05/20 »
That's really strange, it must come as a nasty shock if you are not expecting it either on foot or in the car.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:04:18, 26/05/20 »
Lovely damsels, odd that we haven't seen any this year yet even though the dragons are up and about.

The 2020 mapping of Watery Lane is an improvement: at least it shows the southern end as water with a footpath beside it that stops in mid air, the rest is the ambiguous parallel solid lines enclosing white, which could be a very minor road or a pair of walls/hedges.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:38:16, 26/05/20 »
That is much more accurate. Both ends are tarmaced roads. It would be drivable.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:08:39, 26/05/20 »
Those  damselflies are lovely. I have a Watery Lane just down the road from me but it's definitely not as nice as yours  ;)
show your love for Lady Nature. And she will come back again.
www.karlswalks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:24:51, 26/05/20 »
I like Watery Lane  :)   Doesn't look to be much room under that bridge though. 

Brilliant pics of the damsel flies too  O0
I'm tired of people bein' ugly to each other. It feels like pieces of glass in my head. - John Coffey, The Green Mile

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:06:25, 26/05/20 »
I like Watery Lane  :)   Doesn't look to be much room under that bridge though. 
The footbridge marks the end of the 'driveable' lane. Just off shot to the left the tarmac emerges up a ramp and joins a normal road. The water flowing down the wet lane turns under the footbridge and joins the River Tone (which I'm standing in for that shot). The arch bridge carries the road from the top of the ramp over the river.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:17:31, 27/05/20 »
The old yokels knew what they were doing when they named it. I can imagine the conversation with tourists in the pub
So many paths, so little time

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:24:07, 27/05/20 »
Lovely...and different  O0