Author Topic: Salomon 4D 3GTX boots  (Read 878 times)

Davidedgarjones

Salomon 4D 3GTX boots
« on: 19:47:13, 05/06/20 »
I've had these before and like those of many forum members mine leaked. Just wondered if there had been any improvement in more recent models.
Thanks
Dave

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Salomon 4D 3GTX boots
« Reply #1 on: 20:21:40, 05/06/20 »
Sorry, I can't help, I had a pair of 4D's (I found them to be very good boots) but mine leaked badly as well. In fact, all of the boots of that type that I've owned have all leaked! My present pair are Salomon Ultra X, I don't know about them yet, they haven't experienced rain or wet fields since I purchased them.

The only dry boots that I've owned are full leather Berghaus Superlites. They are the only full leather boots that I've ever bought.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:16:33, 05/06/20 »
Never had a pair of 4D 3GTX leak yet, yes my feet have ended up wet at times but that was either through capillary action of wet trousers soaking into the socks, stepping directly into water above ankle height, sweating or a combination of three.

I often wonder if people 'think' their boots are leaking (because of the reviews they've read), instead it is for one of the reasons I've experienced.
Back to back Lyke Wake Walk attempt in aid of MIND - https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RoyRix

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:52:08, 05/06/20 »
Never had a pair of 4D 3GTX leak yet, yes my feet have ended up wet at times but that was either through capillary action of wet trousers soaking into the socks, stepping directly into water above ankle height, sweating or a combination of three.

I often wonder if people 'think' their boots are leaking (because of the reviews they've read), instead it is for one of the reasons I've experienced.

I'm someone who's returned two pairs of these boots. I took both pairs back to Cotswold Outdoor in Canterbury where they were examined and tested. They weren't surprised they leaked because (as they told me) it's a common problem.

After these two failures I upgraded to Scarpa R-Evo GTX boots which have been excellent. BTW, I've had several pairs of Salomon walking shoes and they've been great, so I've nothing at all against the company.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:43:10, 05/06/20 »
I'm someone who's returned two pairs of these boots. I took both pairs back to Cotswold Outdoor in Canterbury where they were examined and tested. They weren't surprised they leaked because (as they told me) it's a common problem.

After these two failures I upgraded to Scarpa R-Evo GTX boots which have been excellent. BTW, I've had several pairs of Salomon walking shoes and they've been great, so I've nothing at all against the company.
3rd or 4th pair for me I can't remember, but not had a problem with a single pair, guess I've just been very lucky. 
Back to back Lyke Wake Walk attempt in aid of MIND - https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RoyRix

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #5 on: 12:37:57, 06/06/20 »
Thanks to all for your replies. I suppose that one of the factors has got to be the terrain over which we walk. In my case it is Dark Peak moorland but also through sometimes wet fields. As I recall, it was getting saturated feet while walking over long wet/dew grass one morning that made me lose patience with the Salomons. I took them back to Cotswold where one of the staff said that the Goretex lining gets overcome by the amount of water on the boot, especially where the foot flexes. If I was going on holiday to the Mediterranean or US national parks where dry weather is pretty much guaranteed I'd go for lighter weight fabric like my wife's Mammut ones (which cannot cope with a wet walk). I wonder really whether it is reasonable to call such boots "waterproof".
Dave

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:07:51, 06/06/20 »
All Goretex can be overwhelmed if the water pressure builds up, forcing a foot through wet grass can do that, and boots are generally only waterproof up to a certain height on the boot, also giving wet grass a chance to get water into the boot.
Where there's a will ...

Z3man

« Reply #7 on: 09:49:26, 07/06/20 »
The 4D 3GTX does not like water full stop.

They leak water quite easily and the Contragrip soles have no grip in the wet whatsoever, the grip is so poor it is genuinely dangerous.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:31:42, 07/06/20 »
I've never had issues with the grip. I did have one pair where one leaked but the replacement pair has been fine.
Where there's a will ...

Z3man

« Reply #9 on: 10:01:23, 12/06/20 »
I've never had issues with the grip. I did have one pair where one leaked but the replacement pair has been fine.

What sort of terrain do you use yours on. If i use mine up in the hills on wet tracks or rocks they become lethal, i absolutely crap myself going down hill they slip that easily. Even in the dry they are not very good but just about acceptable. My friend has a pair as well and he says exactly the same as me, he has fell over a few times.

I am just about to buy another pair as i have worn out the Vibram sole that i had fitted on my current pair. I did plan on getting the new pair resoled with a Vibram sole straight out of the box, but i have decided to try them out first to see if the grip is any better than on my first pair before i got the Vibram sole fitted. Even though they are exactly the same model, you never know Salomon might have improved the compound over time as they have had quite a bit of feedback on the poor grip.
« Last Edit: 10:11:19, 12/06/20 by Z3man »

watershed

« Reply #10 on: 10:34:06, 12/06/20 »

What sort of terrain do you use yours on. If i use mine up in the hills on wet tracks or rocks they become lethal, i absolutely crap myself going down hill they slip that easily. Even in the dry they are not very good but just about acceptable. My friend has a pair as well and he says exactly the same as me, he has fell over a few times.

I am just about to buy another pair as i have worn out the Vibram sole that i had fitted on my current pair. I did plan on getting the new pair resoled with a Vibram sole straight out of the box, but i have decided to try them out first to see if the grip is any better than on my first pair before i got the Vibram sole fitted. Even though they are exactly the same model, you never know Salomon might have improved the compound over time as they have had quite a bit of feedback on the poor grip.

Hi Z3man,
               genuine question here as I have considered buying these boots for use here in Shetland over the winter.
If they leak and need resole, cant you find a better boot?
I use their little brothers the 3d gtx boots and cant find anything better, but have toyed with the idea of the 4's for winter.

Z3man

« Reply #11 on: 11:29:57, 12/06/20 »
Hi Z3man,
               genuine question here as I have considered buying these boots for use here in Shetland over the winter.
If they leak and need resole, cant you find a better boot?
I use their little brothers the 3d gtx boots and cant find anything better, but have toyed with the idea of the 4's for winter.

Ha ha, i thought someone might be wondering that.

I have very bad feet, i have tried scores of boots out over the last 3 or 4 years and these are the only boots that don't make my feet bad, it is quite amazing how different these are to any other boot. That is why i will pay the extra to have them resoled, basically i don't have any choice, i either pay the money or i can't go walking.

Bedsides that though these are an excellent boot, the weight to toughness ratio is very good as they are pretty tough but not too heavy. The ankle support is absolutely excellent, as is the lacing system.

I know it doesn't sound like it at times but i really love these boots, but just have to put up with a bit of leaking, luckily i have excellent socks that don't feel wet when they are wet.

watershed

« Reply #12 on: 12:46:41, 12/06/20 »
Ok thanks Z3man.
Fingers crossed they have sorted the waterproofing with the new batch.
it would be interesting if you do a report after you have got a few hundred miles done in the new pair.

cheers

Z3man

« Reply #13 on: 12:58:39, 12/06/20 »
Ok thanks Z3man.
Fingers crossed they have sorted the waterproofing with the new batch.
it would be interesting if you do a report after you have got a few hundred miles done in the new pair.

cheers

Shame i haven't got them now, it has been peeing down non stop in the North East, would have been perfect for testing them.

I am just scouring the internet now for the best uk supplier price that Go Outdoors will price match.

Z3man

« Reply #14 on: 09:23:08, 14/06/20 »
Bought a new pair of Quest's yesterday.

Before i send them off to be resoled with a Vibram sole i have decided to use them a bit first to see if this pair has any better grip than my first pair.

One thing i have noticed is that the new pair are made in Vietnam whereas my first pair was made in China. So you never know there could be a difference in the rubber compound used for the sole.

Also they might have improved the Gortex lining and they might not leak. If i remember correctly though i don't think my original pair leaked for the first few months, but once they did start to leak they just got worse over time and now they are like a sieve.