Author Topic: Lightwave Tents anyone?  (Read 305 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Lightwave Tents anyone?
« on: 22:07:53, 22/06/20 »
WildWalkingUK reviewed the single skin Lightwave S10 Sigma one man 4 season tent earlier this year - good review, but single skin is not the way that I want to go.

Anyone else have any experience of Lightwave tents?

zuludog

Re: Lightwave Tents anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 11:31:47, 23/06/20 »
I had an Ultimate Tramp 1 for many years, but the time had finally come to replace it, and with something a bit lighter if possible
I like the sloping ridge design, but it looks like they are no longer made, so I got a Lightwave t10, which is a sloping tunnel, so a similar shape
When I started using it I found that there wasn't as much room as the Tramp, and stretching the outer tent over the hoop poles to clip them onto the ends was an absolute struggle; and the sides flapped and billowed around too much

On the plus side, the Lightwave was well made, so perhaps a different model from Lightwave would be OK?

I got rid of the t10 and bought an MSR NX1, which I'm very happy with
It's roomy for one; straight forward to pitch; fairly light, and cheaper than an Akto (well, isn't anything?); and packs down small
The standard of sewing and general construction is excellent, among the best I've seen

So besides the Lightwave tent, I'd have a look at MSR's website and see if they have anything that would suit you

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:32:15, 23/06/20 »
Thanks Zuludog - it is the T10 Trek or Trail that caught my eye. Seen some good reviews.

I've looked at MSR, but the only tent that can really be described as 4 season is the Access, a bit beyond my price range I'm afraid. Also have my eye on the Nordisk Svalbard SI.

zuludog

« Reply #3 on: 14:45:11, 23/06/20 »
I know a couple of people who have Nordisk tents, though I don't know which models, and they are happy enough

I wouldn't like to use a t10 type tent in winter - I can imagine it being very susceptible in side winds
I would insist on seeing the tent pitched before I thought about buying one

Oh, and a comment about all tents now - the makers use all sorts of tricks to reduce the cost and weight. Typically they will only supply the absolute minimum of pegs and/or guys to put the thing up
What most people would expect they class as ' for extreme conditions'
And missing out the bags
This sort of thing is probably hidden somewhere in the fine print, so while it might be legal, I regard it as sharp practice

So when you're shopping around double check exactly what you're getting, and compare like for like. Allow for any extra cost or weight accordingly

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:45:13, 23/06/20 »
Indeed - I hate it when they quote a weight that doesn't include the bags or the pegs. Lightwave I don't think are guilty of that, and supply a mixture of pegs, including some pretty beefy looking pegs for soft ground.

Edit - I don't share your concern about tunnel tents, as long as they are well designed. I'm thinking of the likes of the Nallo, and I suspect that the Lightwave Arctic tunnel tent is a real bomber too. Not that I need an expedition tent!
« Last Edit: 17:13:36, 23/06/20 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:44:58, 23/06/20 »
Well on the strength of this review, and the follow up comments, I've gone and ordered a Lightwave Trek T10, clearance stock as the model has been superseded by their Trail range, a steal at 129 inc postage.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:31:54, 25/06/20 »
The Lightwave T10 Trek arrived today, pretty fast delivery. Tent looks high quality, well finished. 40d Silnylon outer, DAC poles, plenty of guying points, looks like a little toughie. One minus - some pegs were missing, but a quick phone call to the manufacturer sorted that, some will be in the post tomorrow.

No prizes for guessing where I will be sleeping tonight!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:57:55, 26/06/20 »
Bit of a devil to put up for the first time, but with practice should be easy enough. Tent is of high quality. I'll do a review after I've done some real camping in it.