Author Topic: Lake District Covoid camping rule breakers  (Read 517 times)

watershed

Lake District Covoid camping rule breakers
« on: 18:00:11, 28/06/20 »

Hopefully headlines like these won't delay us being allowed to go wild camping

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53210470

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Lake District Covoid camping rule breakers
« Reply #1 on: 20:03:54, 28/06/20 »
These types of people fall into the same category as the BBQ and litter brigade and don't represent normal lovers of the outdoors.

It wouldn't be much of a news article if the headline was "solo wild camper found respecting the countryside code and social distancing rules".

I think the authorities can tell the difference.
I'm tired of people bein' ugly to each other. It feels like pieces of glass in my head. - John Coffey, The Green Mile

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:30:25, 28/06/20 »
These types of people fall into the same category as the BBQ and litter brigade and don't represent normal lovers of the outdoors.

It wouldn't be much of a news article if the headline was "solo wild camper found respecting the countryside code and social distancing rules".

I think the authorities can tell the difference.
I am sure you are right Mel.  The problem comes in framing a rule or regulation that can.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:47:09, 28/06/20 »

The article mentions camp fires, damage and littering.  Certainly under current covid rules none of that is allowed/legal but even in normal times, causing damage is an offence.

I think the authorities come down hard on the types of folks in the article as they are breaking at least one law but would turn a blind eye to an obvious outdoor lover camping discreetly alone in the hills as they are breaking no law (current covid rules excepted, but I still think the two "types" would be treated differently).

I'm tired of people bein' ugly to each other. It feels like pieces of glass in my head. - John Coffey, The Green Mile

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:08:33, 29/06/20 »
You will probably find that when the pubs open these kind of people will stay on campsites or in bunkhouses.They are a bit like rats in that they go near the source of food,or in their case,booze.

watershed

« Reply #5 on: 09:14:47, 29/06/20 »
You will probably find that when the pubs open these kind of people will stay on campsites or in bunkhouses.They are a bit like rats in that they go near the source of food,or in their case,booze.

Ha Ha yes I think you could well be right there Tonyk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:40:17, 30/06/20 »
The article mentions camp fires, damage and littering.  Certainly under current covid rules none of that is allowed/legal but even in normal times, causing damage is an offence.

I think the authorities come down hard on the types of folks in the article as they are breaking at least one law but would turn a blind eye to an obvious outdoor lover camping discreetly alone in the hills as they are breaking no law (current covid rules excepted, but I still think the two "types" would be treated differently).

Discreetly is the key word - the authorities would have to have very sharp eyes and be prepared for a long walk in to find a solo wild camper tucked away in a hollow on the side of a fell somewhere - just not worth their bother as the barbecue 'n beer brigade that cause the mess usually can't be bothered to walk far from their cars.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:52:09, 06/07/20 »
Spotted some wild campers getting their packs ready at Tilberthwaite car park yesterday - for some reason I thought that they looked a bit furtive, maybe they couldn't quite believe that the Lockdown has ended as far as staying at home overnight is concerned.