Author Topic: Fire Maple Blade 2 (UL remote canister stove)  (Read 242 times)

Litehiker

Fire Maple Blade 2 (UL remote canister stove)
« on: 04:38:51, 10/07/20 »
For two of my grandsons, brothers aged 10 and 14, I got a Fire Maple Blade 2 remote canister stove. As most of us know teenagers are THE most careless people on the planet so these boys needed a stable stove/windbreak. A stove completes there backpacking gear list.

The Blade 2 model has a vaporizing tube allowing it to vapor the liquid iso-butane fuel from invertedcanisters. Inverted canisters are good for those sub-freezing mornings at 8,000 ft. in California's Sierra Nevada, where we most often backpack.

As a matter of interest my MSR Whisperlite UJniversal in canister mode is much heavier and beefier than the FM Blade 2. And having tested the FM Blade 2 so I wonder, why did MSR make their stove SO heavy duty - and thus heavy?

Eric B.
P.S. Anyone have a Fire Maple Blade 2? If so, comments?
« Last Edit: 04:43:15, 10/07/20 by Litehiker »

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Fire Maple Blade 2 (UL remote canister stove)
« Reply #1 on: 11:43:03, 12/07/20 »
One thing which comes to mind is make it damage resistant so they get less returns/warranty use?

I can't believe designers aren't able to access broadly the same materials and manufacturing expertise at the moment and could certainly pair something down.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:21:00, 12/07/20 »
We have The MSR Windpro 2 remote canister stove and we chose MSR for its durability and quality. We have had an Alpkit Koro but gas leaked from the hose and it turned into a flame thrower. Alpkit sent a replacement but the replacement had the same problem and that was returned to Alpkit and we got our money back. We have also had a Kovea Spider and it lasted longer than the Koro but the threads went on it as I recall. 
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

Litehiker

« Reply #3 on: 19:32:27, 12/07/20 »
I get it that MSR has, along with Scandanavian stoves, the highest build quality.

BUT... Why can't MSR give us titanium legs and supports? Why can't MSR give us a high quality, lighter weight braided hose?

So far Fire Maple stoves have a good reputation. (fingers crossed, knock on wood, rub lucky rabbit's foot, sign of the cross, etc.)
The Chinese CAN build high quality gear. Witness the uptick in build quality of Tarptent Dyneema tents when Henry Shires shifted production of that line to a top tier Chinese factory.

As a note on Chinese product quality: Recently I've ordered a few Chinese aftermarket parts for my 2019 MAZDA CX 5 GT Reserve 2.5 L. turbo. So far they have been of a very high quality.

Eric B.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:06:46, 12/07/20 »
The MSR Windpro 2 is 187g, only 50g heavier than the Fire Maple so that wasn't an issue for us. The MSR stove costs more as it is, it may be the extra costs that would be involved?

We have other Alpkit gear that we are happy with, I have the carbonlite trekking poles and we have a titanium pot from there too, all made in China I believe. Isn't just about everything made in China these days?  ;)
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

Litehiker

« Reply #5 on: 20:16:54, 12/07/20 »
To be clear I do own both an old MSR Windpro and a newer MSR Whisperlite Universal 3 fuel stove (petrol, kerosene and canister fuel). But even in the canister mode that sucker is heavy compared to the Fire Maple Blade 2.

Also I used to own an MSR Dragonfly, perhaps THE best simmering petrol backpacking stove ever. But it too was a heavy mother, so I sold it after 15 years of use, mainly in winter in the latter years. So for me it ain't a matter of budgeting for stove purchases but more about weight, design and quality.

Eric B.