Author Topic: Water purification when up on the fells.  (Read 2340 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Water purification when up on the fells.
« Reply #45 on: 17:11:59, 11/08/20 »
This is how I use the Sawyer Micro Squeeze (sorry about the poor focus).

Dirty water in the brown pop bottle, tightly screwed on to the filter input side.
Clean water in the lower clear pop bottle, which is loosely attached to the filter output using the female-female coupling supplied.
I squeeze the dirty water bottle, then slacken it off slightly to let the air in, and repeat until done.
I then remove the dirty bottle, tighten the clean bottle, invert the filter and give the bottle a quick squeeze to back wash the filter.
Simple.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

« Reply #46 on: 18:21:22, 11/08/20 »

@richardh1905, Yes that works much better than using the pouch that is included. The dirty water bottle is much easier to fill.

Myself, I am lazy, so I use a hose between filter and clean bottle and let the water column create the pressure, so I don't need to squeeze the bottle. Especially nice when the filter gets older / clogged with deteriorating flow. And also when you need to filter lots of water (dry areas with scarce sources). I can then watch other hikers sweat when they work hard squeezing water through the filter while I relax with a few snacks.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 18:41:25, 11/08/20 »
This is how I use the Sawyer Micro Squeeze (sorry about the poor focus).

Dirty water in the brown pop bottle, tightly screwed on to the filter input side.
Clean water in the lower clear pop bottle, which is loosely attached to the filter output using the female-female coupling supplied.
I squeeze the dirty water bottle, then slacken it off slightly to let the air in, and repeat until done.
I then remove the dirty bottle, tighten the clean bottle, invert the filter and give the bottle a quick squeeze to back wash the filter.
Simple.

Curious what types (or brand) of bottles you use for the micro?  Has it got the same threads as the previous I wonder.  I think the fizzy pop bottles have different threads to still water and vaguely remember fizzy pop being the ideal ones for the sawyer thread, but it's been a while since I used mine.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 19:04:37, 11/08/20 »
I had an attachment that connected to a pop bottle so that it could be used as a drinking reservoir in lieu of the normal drinking bladder, Camelpak/Platypus style.  It would be ideal to use with that lower bottle.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 19:19:52, 11/08/20 »
@richardh1905, Yes that works much better than using the pouch that is included. The dirty water bottle is much easier to fill.

Myself, I am lazy, so I use a hose between filter and clean bottle and let the water column create the pressure, so I don't need to squeeze the bottle. Especially nice when the filter gets older / clogged with deteriorating flow. And also when you need to filter lots of water (dry areas with scarce sources). I can then watch other hikers sweat when they work hard squeezing water through the filter while I relax with a few snacks.

No hard work involved, only takes a minute or two with the Sawyer Micro.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 19:20:53, 11/08/20 »

Curious what types (or brand) of bottles you use for the micro?  Has it got the same threads as the previous I wonder.  I think the fizzy pop bottles have different threads to still water and vaguely remember fizzy pop being the ideal ones for the sawyer thread, but it's been a while since I used mine.

Any normal pop bottle seems to fit - coke, pepsi etc. One of the reasons that I went for the Sawyer Micro. The bottom bottle is Irn Bru, top some fermented tea drink imported from Australia!

Birdman

« Reply #51 on: 07:49:41, 12/08/20 »
As said before, Sawyer had the standard thread that most softdrink bottles have. Unlike Platypus bladders, which have a proprietary thread. So most softdrink bottles will fit on the Sawyer.

I use Platypus 2L bladders a lot for transport and storage of water, because they are easy to transport when empty and I need a water carrying capacity of 10 litres+ sometimes. But for 'dirty water' bladder I use an Evernew bladder because it has a standard thread so I can screw the Sawyer on it. (Why not all Evernew for all bladders then? Because I like the Platypus shape better - they pack more efficient when full).

For drinking itself I use a standard 1L Smartwater bottle, which is always within easy reach without needing to take my backpack off. I don't like drinking systems because they make it more difficult to see how fast you are going through your water.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/