Author Topic: Garmin eTrex 10  (Read 255 times)

Victorthesecond

Garmin eTrex 10
« on: 13:53:57, 14/07/20 »
Hi all. I've just bought a Garmin eTrex 10 with the main purpose of carrying it on our planned walk to Scafell Pike in early September. I hope I don't need to use it! But, it seemed a wise purchase to use in conjunction with standard map and compass as I understand it can be used a) to record waypoints on our ascent that we can use to get back down and b) to see co-ordinates so we know where we are if the clag comes down. This is our first climb to Scafell - we're in our early 60s, both fit enough to do the climb, fairly experienced walkers and will carry and use the "proper" gear - good boots, layers, map, compass etc - and will have advised our return ETA with a contact elsewhere to enable us to report a safe return.

I just thought I'd ask the forum if there were any tips and tricks on the eTrex 10? I have downloaded the manual and will work through it before we venture on the hill, but if anyone has any good ideas that I can pinch, they'd be very welcome!!

Thanks!

Mike

motorlaunch

Re: Garmin eTrex 10
« Reply #1 on: 17:14:26, 14/07/20 »
Load the gpx file for the route that you plan to walk onto the Etrex 10 in advance. This will be visible as a line on the map. You can then monitor your position against the planned route. Hope the weather is good for you. Social distancing is an issue when you get to the top. O0

Victorthesecond

« Reply #2 on: 17:41:34, 14/07/20 »
Thanks!  That busy on the top eh???

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:33:27, 14/07/20 »
If you print off a map of your route you can navigate by bendology matching the shape of the line on the Etrex to your map.  Provided you do not stray too far from your planned route and have lots of waypoints loaded, then in extremis if it socks in you can walk along the line or backtrack the way you came if you have to.
Can I suggest if you have a smartphone, you load the OS app.  This will show you where you are on the OS map and you can use it to follow a planned route.
Solvitur Ambulando

Victorthesecond

« Reply #4 on: 18:46:54, 14/07/20 »
Hi, thanks for that. I've created a route in ViewRanger that matches one I've done in hardcopy on an OS map, so we're getting well covered. I hope I don't have to use the eTrex in anger, but better safe than sorry.....

Out of interest, I wondered if anyone knew if the eTrex 10 gave audible alerts when approaching waypoints AND / OR gives alerts if we stray a long way from the route downloaded?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:50:33, 14/07/20 »
Hi, thanks for that. I've created a route in ViewRanger that matches one I've done in hardcopy on an OS map, so we're getting well covered. I hope I don't have to use the eTrex in anger, but better safe than sorry.....

Out of interest, I wondered if anyone knew if the eTrex 10 gave audible alerts when approaching waypoints AND / OR gives alerts if we stray a long way from the route downloaded?
Apparently yes
https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=Rjj2MKbOV52YO3LbHlqugA
Solvitur Ambulando