Author Topic: Lonely hike around Scotland/Lake District  (Read 688 times)

Birdman

Re: Lonely hike around Scotland/Lake District
« Reply #15 on: 10:00:35, 25/07/20 »
True enough. I suspect that Ben Nevis has way more ascents than Ben Lomond (top of the list) for instance.
Not that I would recommend either to someone looking for solitude!

PS - my most unvisited on that list is Ruadh Stac Mhor (not that I am a Munroist) - but we met a group on the summit - it was the last Munro for one of the party, so congratulations were in order, and a hip flask of Apricot Brandy was passed around.  :)

Yes, of course Ben Nevis tops all. Even many international visitors climb Nevis, even on their first visit. When I climbed it I met only two people on the way up, but I climbed it via the Carn Mor Dearg Arete. However, when I reached the summit it was like visiting a funfair and not much fun to put it mildly. But the climb via the CMDA was really nice and enjoyable! Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis were my first two Munros ever and made me want to do more hill walking in the future, so I owe these mountains!

Ruadh Stac Mhor is remote indeed but iconic because it is part of the Fisherfield round. I can imagine that Munroists save it for last. I haven't climbed it yet but camped close to it while on the Cape Wrath Trail. It's a wonderful area.

My most unvisited is Sgurr Mor (#280 on the list). Didn't see anybody, but it was also in pouring rain and much of the approach (from the south) was extremely boggy at the time. Still recall my trench feet (I was camping and the days before were very wet too).

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Lonely hike around Scotland/Lake District
« Reply #16 on: 12:51:37, 25/07/20 »
I clearly remember the words of the Munroist as he reached the summit - "Got you, you b4st4rd!"
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain