Author Topic: Garmin Systems Hacked and not working  (Read 268 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Garmin Systems Hacked and not working
« on: 09:08:05, 27/07/20 »

Playboy Russian hacker holds Garmin to ransom: Lamborghini driving 33-year-old who runs 'EVIL CORP' and has $5m FBI bounty on his head has crippled the firm with millions of users for fifth day - and wants $10m to restore it

Tens of millions of people around the world have found their Garmin devices, including those used by runners, cyclists and pilots, down for a fifth day after being hacked by Russian group Evil Corps which is demanding a $10m ransom to restore their operation.
Garmin has been ordered to pay the ransom by the cybercriminal group headed by a 33-year-old Russian playboy hacker, Maksim Yakubets, who drives a customized $250,000 Lamborghini. [/size]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8562805/Will-Garmin-pay-10-Million-ransom-order-bring-end-ransomware-attack-three-days.html

Sorry - I realise that it is the Daily Mail !

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin Systems Hacked and not working
« Reply #1 on: 09:38:42, 27/07/20 »
Like others who use Garmin devices, I've been aware of the problem for days and I'm delighted and relieved to see the service is returning to normal this morning.  O0

That seems very cheap for a Lamborghini.  ;)

GoneWest

« Reply #2 on: 10:50:03, 27/07/20 »
Luckily, for those depending upon it for their safety, the important parts of the Inreach Web subsystem are still working, including MapShare. Not that I'll need it for a while. My airtime account is still suspended because all my walks are still local, over well-trodden ways, where I am easily findable.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:34:12, 27/07/20 »
If a man goes for a run in a forest and Strava doesn't record his steps - did he really go?
No issues with my dear old Etrex or dropping routes into BaseCamp fortunately
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:25:01, 27/07/20 »
If a man goes for a run in a forest and Strava doesn't record his steps - did he really go?
No issues with my dear old Etrex or dropping routes into BaseCamp fortunately

Had a giggle at the many holding there wrists at the start of the Dartmoor High ground marathon last year.  Mind you the vast majority were quicker than me, so maybe that's what made the difference.

I have my Ten tors medal and my YHA book fully stamped and dated for LEJoG in 1980.  :)

The rest I just make up. I'm a 25 stone couch potato really. ;D

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:37:30, 27/07/20 »
I'm happy to report that nothing I use or recorded has been lost. The walks we did during the outage - routes, data, etc. - have all been synced from my watch, and everything is back as if nothing happened.  :)