Author Topic: TR - "Marden Bagging" in the South Downs  (Read 306 times)

Warbler

TR - "Marden Bagging" in the South Downs
« on: 21:35:17, 28/07/20 »
Another outing in the South Downs today, parking in Compton, before wandering off on a 10 mile circular.

I don’t think I’ve ever been on a walk through and around so many fields of barley (or wheat – I can never tell the difference).

After a mile or so I was through the hamlet of West Marden.

More barley…….or wheat?

Very soon I was passing through my second “Marden” of the day, the tiny village of Up Marden.

Swiftly followed by the third……….. East Marden, with its thatched roof well, the villages focal point.

I found myself a nice spot for lunch. Three small tree stumps in the corner of a field provided a seat and two side tables.

A stump with a view………of more barley.

One Marden – Yeah!
Two Mardens – Yeah! So what!
Three Mardens – Hmmm, interesting.
Four Mardens – Now your talking.

I had originally intended walking through the first three “Mardens”, but then noticed North Marden further up on the map.
It was there to be bagged. It had to be bagged.

North Marden had a really impressive looking small church. However, it was so tightly surrounded by trees and hedgerow that I couldn’t step back enough to get it all in the frame.

This bridleway was also part of an equestrian cross-country course. I was really tempted to have a run up and jump over the obstacle, but there was a group of walkers not far behind me, so I thought better of it.
What’s that in the field beside the bridleway? Is it barley?

Arriving back in Compton I had been hoping to enjoy a pint sitting outside the Coach and Horses. Alas, it was closed between 3 and 5pm. I got there at 4pm. Never mind. At least I got to see my second well of the day.

My Viewranger track told me I’d walked 9.97 miles. I really wasn’t bothered that I’d not walked ten. I’m obviously not a proper walker  ;)

During todays walk it struck me that this was the first time I’d been outside of Hampshire since early January. “The Mardens” are in West Sussex…..just. I really should get out more.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - "Marden Bagging" in the South Downs
« Reply #1 on: 22:20:31, 28/07/20 »
Good photos and TR    :)   

I find it interesting how the character of the South Downs changes in some ways as one goes eastwards. The landscape around the Mardens looks rather different from the areas where I do a lot of my walking, the central and eastern downs, but just as lovely    :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:23:53, 28/07/20 »
Nice photos. Was wondering what a Marden was!

Barley has hairy ears (photos 3 and 6), wheat ears are hairless.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:27:46, 28/07/20 »
Nice pics.
I have many pictures of paths through crops this year too.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:02:08, 29/07/20 »
Lovely photos Warbler  O0 Love the well with the thatched roof  :)
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

Booga

« Reply #5 on: 10:25:46, 29/07/20 »
Nice photos and report. Reading the thread title I wondered if "Mardens" were another list of hills to bag like Munros, Marilyns, Corbetts etc etc  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:59:22, 30/07/20 »
So was I

and oats - wild or not - dangle :)

Interesting looking church; happily the village churches round here are open again which adds much interest to our walks
So many paths, so little time

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:35:17, 30/07/20 »
Great pics ! Lovely view from that stump and shame about the sign on the coa h & horses. ! O0
                                                                                                                           c

Warbler

« Reply #8 on: 13:53:06, 30/07/20 »
Good photos and TR    :)   

I find it interesting how the character of the South Downs changes in some ways as one goes eastwards. The landscape around the Mardens looks rather different from the areas where I do a lot of my walking, the central and eastern downs, but just as lovely    :)

Thanks Dovegirl. I agree, the character does differ from east to west. My only experience of the eastern and central downs is when I walked a partial South Downs Way from Cocking to Eastbourne last year. I found there were more expansive views and not as much woodland as in the west. I intend travelling east in the coming weeks to explore more, if I can find a quietish campsite for a couple of nights.

Thanks for the clarification Richard  O0

Nice pics.
I have many pictures of paths through crops this year too.

Cheers Ridge. I think many of us have wondered through more crops than usual this year due to restrictions.

Lovely photos Warbler  O0 Love the well with the thatched roof  :)

Cheers April. I think it must also be a contender for the smallest village green in England  :)

Nice photos and report. Reading the thread title I wondered if "Mardens" were another list of hills to bag like Munros, Marilyns, Corbetts etc etc  ;D

Thanks Booga. It seems a few others were a tad confused with the title.

Interesting looking church; happily the village churches round here are open again which adds much interest to our walks

St Mary's is a very quirky looking church. It had a curved end which you can't really see in my photo. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.

Here's a slightly better view of it here: https://sussexparishchurches.org/church/north-marden-st-mary/

Great pics ! Lovely view from that stump and shame about the sign on the coa h & horses. ! O0
                                                                                                                           c

Thanks G&P. The fact that it was closed when I got there was also a shame.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:38:37, 30/07/20 »
Great photos. I live in Portsmouth so know the area a bit.

I parked at Walderton (free) then walked off road towards the two earthworks called Cross Dykes (views for miles) then on past Goosehill camp (the Monarchs Way crosses here) then on to Chilgrove. Then off road to Hooksway, then to North Marden, Up Marden and then West Marden. From there walked through Watergate Hanger back to my car. Its a great area.

Warbler

« Reply #10 on: 23:10:29, 30/07/20 »
Great photos. I live in Portsmouth so know the area a bit.

I parked at Walderton (free) then walked off road towards the two earthworks called Cross Dykes (views for miles) then on past Goosehill camp (the Monarchs Way crosses here) then on to Chilgrove. Then off road to Hooksway, then to North Marden, Up Marden and then West Marden. From there walked through Watergate Hanger back to my car. Its a great area.

Cheers GWM. You should have got yourself to East Marden and completed the "Marden Grand Slam"   :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:59:43, 31/07/20 »
I remember doing this circuit two days after the 1980's hurricane, the landscape was like a battlefield, and my mate and I had to clamber over or go around so many big trees that had blown down. It truly was an apocalyptic experience, all better now though.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:24:53, 31/07/20 »
You'll have to go back (when the pub is open) - did you miss Marden Meadows?
There are other definitions of Marden but I like "From the valley with the pool" - perhaps they drained the pool into the wells.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 19:48:15 »
Enjoyed that.  This lovely (mostly) weather we're having is just perfect for "quintessentially English" walks.  Though I expected to see more crop fields..

;)