Author Topic: How do you 'publish' the hikes that you've done?  (Read 612 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: How do you 'publish' the hikes that you've done?
« Reply #30 on: 21:47:19, 30/07/20 »
I'm sorry Fernman but I have to admit that I have no idea what you are writing about. My computer knowledge is limited and you have just gone beyond my comfort zone. I will read it again and see how far I get with it.

Your sentence 'What you need to do is submit your site's details to the major search engines, you'll find how to do this if you do a search, and it helps if your site has a number of hyperlinks to other sites in it' really stumps me. Sorry about that but I will try to work it out.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 22:14:44, 30/07/20 »
I wouldn't worry about stuff like that GWM - I certainly don't.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Warbler

« Reply #32 on: 23:13:44, 30/07/20 »
Once you've cracked how to do anything complex to you as a novice, on WordPress or anything else for that matter, make notes on a document of the steps you made, so that you can refer to them the next time you do it.
I only used to add a new page on my site twice a year, which was long enough for me to forget how to do it.

Thanks fernman. I'll put your methods to the test very soon.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 10:14:16, 31/07/20 »
Thanks fernman. I'll put your methods to the test very soon.

Just for information - I use the 'Independent Publisher 2' Theme on Wordpress. Nice clean and simple layout. And free, of course. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 14:39:13, 31/07/20 »
Your sentence 'What you need to do is submit your site's details to the major search engines, you'll find how to do this if you do a search, and it helps if your site has a number of hyperlinks to other sites in it' really stumps me.

You create your site and you publish it - each time you make a new page or edit one you will see a big blue 'Publish' button on the right of the Wordpress.com compose screen.

So you've made your site and then you go to Google or whatever you use and you search for 'Submit your website to Google'. Deal direct with Google, don't be tempted to use some carppy site that volunteers to do it for you. You will be presented with an onscreen form in which you enter the url of your site, Gunwharfman.wordpress.com or whatever, and that's about it, Google will add it to their search engine.

Then you do the same again with Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo and any others you can think of.

Hyperlinks, commonly called links, are the underscored blue bits of text that open a specific website when you click on them, they are all over the web, and you will see them in posts on this forum and as members' signatures. Now I confess to not knowing fully how this works, but if your site contains a number of such links it sort of brings your site more to the fore, it's something to do with interconnecting with other sites. (I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of this than me will be able to explain it properly.)