Author Topic: listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks or not at all?  (Read 1528 times)

shortwalker

Re: listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks or not at all?
« Reply #30 on: 22:54:21, 07/09/20 »
Just to add, this is a comment from your own website:

"The return journey is via the Leeds/Liverpool Canal. A pleasant waterside stroll, if somewhat marred by the drone of traffic, along the nearby A629."

So what is the harm in cutting out that noise by listening to music/podcasts, to cut out that noise.

For further clarity I often walk that stretch of the canal.
« Last Edit: 23:48:23, 07/09/20 by shortwalker »

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 06:59:29, 08/09/20 »
I'm very much a no on a personal level. I wouldn't object to someone else as long as they didn't inflict it on me.
One caveat to the latter - if I'm leading a group of children, I make them do without so they at least have that walk to experience without being plugged in.
And a caveat to the caveat - there are people for whom the headphones are a coping mechanism for serious issues and I'm fine with that even in a group education situation.

Now, if you need music to get your feet going, I'd recommend Abba. The majority of their music was written while jogging round a lake and so has that rhythm.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 07:32:24, 08/09/20 »
Many people don't like aspects of technology and find time without it a positive.

I'm not one of them, I love technology yet I also enjoy the experience of nature in stereo rather than with my music. I leave my phone in my pocket when I'm having a dinner date with my fiancée (but I'd answer an important call, I don't get many important calls if I did I wouldn't).

Anyway let's be kind to each other it's not (and by association people aren't) sad for enjoying music in the country (let alone staying at home) or judging others by arbitrary standards merely wired differently and unwise to clarity of vision, social and other benefits keeping an open mind brings. :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 11:17:44, 08/09/20 »
What I miss is walking and doing a bit of work on the go, receiving telephone calls, emails, and the like, always useful when the day has become dull and my mind has as well. Sometimes strategy is involved and I find I problem-solve better when I'm walking. 2020 for me stopped all of that, now I boringly do it sitting in my chair.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 11:51:49, 08/09/20 »
Why would anyone want to block out the sounds of nature around them.

Listening to the call of the first Cuckoo of the year, a passing Raven nesting in Cwm NantCol, and its an eerie sound of a barking fox, late at night, up the road in Dyffryn.

When i go for a walk, i carry no electronic devices, not even a mobile phone, as having been an active walker, long before the arrival of such gadgets, i can do without one.

The only electronic device, that i occasionally take with me, is my GoPro camera, and then, its not always used.

A walk is just that, trying to be at one with nature, and leaving 21C life behind, just for a few hours.

Peace, solitude, and the realisation, that one day, you will leave this planet, and during that time, be at one with your environment,

The sound of a mobile phone ringing, a walker with earphones sprouting out of his head.

That's not my idea of what walking the hills is all about.
« Last Edit: 18:08:55, 08/09/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:14:28, 08/09/20 »
What I miss is walking and doing a bit of work on the go, receiving telephone calls, emails, and the like

For me, going walking is a liberating respite from such things!

mow1701

« Reply #36 on: 15:55:31, 08/09/20 »
Personally I like to be in touch with my surrounding when walking and break the hustle of urban sounds. Also it nice on a trip stopping and chatting to someone on the trail comparing experiences. Recently a chap coming towards me walking the Pennine Way just blanked ignored me because of headphones. You might as well walk in town. Met and got to know some interesting people while on the trail who I often met in the pub after a days walk as a result of just chatting on trail.