Author Topic: Annoying rocker mechanism on walking boots  (Read 788 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Annoying rocker mechanism on walking boots
« Reply #15 on: 11:01:21, 19/08/20 »
I Googled in 'toe spring' read the description and saw the photos. I can only conclude that I'm a person that has not yet recognised what it is or whether it affects me. I've had a quick look at two pairs of my day to day shoes, one is flat at the toe end, the other has a turn up at the toe end. I wear both regularly and I've never noticed if one is different from the other as I walk. I'll have a look at my hiking boots later. The only thing I've really noticed about my boots is that one is 'fabric' (for summer use) and the other is 'full leather (for winter use) and I am instantly aware when I am wearing one or the other.

spenthompson

« Reply #16 on: 11:05:57, 19/08/20 »
I Googled in 'toe spring' read the description and saw the photos. I can only conclude that I'm a person that has not yet recognised what it is or whether it affects me. I've had a quick look at two pairs of my day to day shoes, one is flat at the toe end, the other has a turn up at the toe end. I wear both regularly and I've never noticed if one is different from the other as I walk. I'll have a look at my hiking boots later. The only thing I've really noticed about my boots is that one is 'fabric' (for summer use) and the other is 'full leather (for winter use) and I am instantly aware when I am wearing one or the other.

You may not notice a difference on day to day shoes because any toe-lift will tend to flatten when under weight. This is less likely to happen on walking boots which have a stronger construction. But it could well depend on your walking style, e.g. if you take shorter strides then you may not notice the difference as much.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:38:33, 19/08/20 »
I think I do take smaller steps, maybe that is it for me?

Ronin83

« Reply #18 on: 15:19:19, 19/08/20 »
That's another point...
If you're on the move walking constantly then a roll of the boot is fine. But as soon as you have to stand for any period you'll notice it. Walking is the important term too. If you're scrambling or hiking very uneven ground it may work against you as it could be beneficial to have your toe area in contact with the ground. In fact higher level climbing shoes have the opposite shape, a downturn of the toe area as that's the bit you need to use to push up from. It also needs to be fairly rigid. Of course that's climbing, but there comes a point where walking becomes hiking becomes scrambling becomes climbing. There's shoes for every situation, but for most of us who are into hiking we probably benefit most from something in the middle and fairly versatile.