Author Topic: 😱 Midges  (Read 855 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
😱 Midges
« on: 09:14:46, 25/08/20 »
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

#LeaveNoTrace youtube

🐷

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: 😱 Midges
« Reply #1 on: 09:39:26, 25/08/20 »
The main reason I have always been a bit cautious about going to Scotland although I have to say my worst experience of them was in Alston. Whether they were the same species or not I don't know but I remember the experience vividly!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:47:59, 25/08/20 »
Lovely!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:49:13, 25/08/20 »
The main reason I have always been a bit cautious about going to Scotland although I have to say my worst experience of them was in Alston. Whether they were the same species or not I don't know but I remember the experience vividly!

They are not nearly so bad further east in the Cairngorms, gwm. Or in the spring or late autumn.

andybr

« Reply #4 on: 10:10:06, 25/08/20 »
Most people who visit the highlands regularly will have their Midgey horror stories but they only happen occasionally and you just learn to cover up and move on when they get bad. There are many more good days than bad though there will always be a certain amount of minor irritation on humid windless days.

Birdman

« Reply #5 on: 11:41:44, 25/08/20 »
That looks like a wonderful sunset! I'm jealous...
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:48:19, 25/08/20 »
When I walked the West Highland Way, it was early in the year, I didn't experience one single midge.

In my case I know I will never go to Scotland again, my son and wife now live down South and for me living in Portsmouth its just not worth my effort to do so.

At most I might manage to get to The Lakes but I have no enthusiasm nowadays to do that either. I can ONLY see myself venturing north again if I decide to hike the Pennine Way once more and thats it.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:07:09, 25/08/20 »
Thought wind blew them away?

Birdman

« Reply #8 on: 14:50:08, 25/08/20 »
In my case I know I will never go to Scotland again, my son and wife now live down South and for me living in Portsmouth its just not worth my effort to do so.

Oh well, if the SNP gets their way, there will be a hard border between England and Scotland. If the Scots vote out and join the EU, it is not even up to them to decide, because the EU will be in charge of their border. Perhaps you'll even need a visa to enter Scotland, heheh!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:52:19, 25/08/20 »
Oh dear, more politics  ::)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:53:47, 25/08/20 »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Birdman

« Reply #11 on: 15:04:18, 25/08/20 »
Oh dear, more politics  ::)

You are right. I'll shut up :)

Birdman

« Reply #12 on: 15:16:27, 25/08/20 »

They are not nearly so bad further east in the Cairngorms, gwm. Or in the spring or late autumn.

Yes, Cairngorms is generally OK. Although I'm told the Glenmore campsite (near Loch Morlich) is pretty horrible, but never been there myself.

In the past I have camped a lot on Dalraddy campsite near Aviemore and that was virtually midge free, even in summer. A few years ago I could camp there for only 5 or even 4 offseason (1 person + car) and they had wonderful showers (no coins) with plenty of hot water. I often based myself there for a week and then made hillwalking daytrips from there. But they got new management and increased their prices a lot (but still a good option).

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:20:32, 25/08/20 »
Those midges remind me of the time we were trapped in the tent near Tarras Water  ;D  Never seen anything like it before or since. Millions of them.
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:36:32, 25/08/20 »

Yes, Cairngorms is generally OK. Although I'm told the Glenmore campsite (near Loch Morlich) is pretty horrible, but never been there myself.

In the past I have camped a lot on Dalraddy campsite near Aviemore and that was virtually midge free, even in summer. A few years ago I could camp there for only 5 or even 4 offseason (1 person + car) and they had wonderful showers (no coins) with plenty of hot water. I often based myself there for a week and then made hillwalking daytrips from there. But they got new management and increased their prices a lot (but still a good option).

I've stayed at Dalraddy a few times at the height of summer, both camping and in a lodge, and the midges were no more than a minor nuisance. We did get midged at the lower Cairn Gorm ski car park though, but we soon lost them when we climbed the hillside above the burn.