Author Topic: Viewranger question. Getting a grid reference  (Read 302 times)

happyhikerUK

Viewranger question. Getting a grid reference
« on: 16:42:59, 26/08/20 »
HI, First post, hope someone can help me with a viewranger question.
I've downloaded a route to do this weekend, but want to find out the grid reference of the start waypoint so I can whats app to friends so we can all meet at the start. I can share the whole route, but they dont have viewranger, is there a way to get the Grid Reference ?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Viewranger question. Getting a grid reference
« Reply #1 on: 17:17:23, 26/08/20 »
Welcome.

It can be done.  You will need to set VR preferences to display National Grid

https://docs.viewranger.com/article/24-display-preferences

It varies a bit but on my phone (Android) you need to open settings on your phone  - 3 dots on green menu bar.

Go to Display Preferences, make sure Show Coordinates bar is ticked

Go to Settings

Go to Display - make sure it shows National Grid (Great Britain)

Select Coordinate type  National Grid 6 digit
Close that and go to Routes.  Select route you want then tap 3 dots and select Show on Map

The information you need is hidden under the drop down green menu bar that just appeared.  Tap More the Hide and it will go away.

You will see a grid ref above the map.

Move the map until the starting point is under the cross hairs and read off the grid ref.

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: 17:26:41, 26/08/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

happyhikerUK

« Reply #2 on: 20:04:51, 26/08/20 »
Great thank you, that worked but it's a bit complicated. I thought I'd be able to do it from the route not the map. Either way got it now. Thanks for the help.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:49:44, 26/08/20 »
Great thank you, that worked but it's a bit complicated. I thought I'd be able to do it from the route not the map. Either way got it now. Thanks for the help.
You are welcome.  The advantage of doing what I have described is that if you do not change the settings on VR, you will not need to do it again next time.  Putting the cross hairs over any  point on the map display will now give its grid ref.

To do it directly from the ViewRanger route file, you would have to export the ViewRanger route as a gpx file, convert it to a readable file, identify the appropriate waypoint and then convert it to a grid ref using a website or an app.  I suspect this would be no less complicated and you would have to repeat the process every time you wanted a grid ref whereas now your phone is set up to do it.

Another benefit is you can now discover your grid ref at all times by opening ViewRanger.
Solvitur Ambulando