Author Topic: Bank holiday challenge: a Walk vs Run half-marathon!  (Read 152 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
My wife was to have run in the Canterbury half-marathon race today, which would have been her first 13.1 mile run as well as her first race. Unfortunately, the race was cancelled, so we came up with our own challenge...

I planned a there-and-back 13.1 mile route along the coast. The idea was that I would set off at 8am and walk it briskly, while my wife would set off at 8.40am and run it. The 40 minute handicap was an attempt to level the playing field, but it turned out to be very much in my favour!

This being a race, we hadn't planned to take photos, but there were lots of people hang-gliding off the slopes between Herne Bay and Reculver (the half-way point) so we both took a few here:

We were absolutely delighted with our results. 

My wife did her first ever non-stop half-marathon run in 2 hrs 28 mins - at an average speed of 5.3 mph...   O0

...while I did my fastest ever middle-distance walk: 13.1 miles in 2 hrs 53 mins - an average speed of 4.54 mph.   :)
« Last Edit: 12:21:32, 31/08/20 by WhitstableDave »