Author Topic: DIY Gear  (Read 277 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
DIY Gear
« on: 00:45:11, 03/09/20 »
Have been having problems with the straps on my rucksack rubbing against the edge of my chest skin pocket where they fitted my pacemaker.
It was rubbed quite raw where the edge of the strap was catching the pocket.
When I was having my first MOT the physiologist said that it wasn't uncommon but that it was usually well endowed ladies who complained about their bra straps.

So I decided to enroll my wife into making me a pad to go under the rucksack strap that was wider than the area of the pocket.
This has been a huge success. It was made from  a piece of foam sleep matt  narrow over the shoulder and wider over the collarbone area. Covered in 1oz waterproof ripstop and with three ties to attach to the rucksack strap.

It works really well having done about 50 miles last week in North Yorkshire it has been fully tested.
It can be used on any of my bags.

If any one has the same problem, then send a private message and I'll send the pattern.

Oh and whilst the machine was out doing useful work I hinted that a Gunwharfman style rain skirt may be quite easy for her to sew up. I now have a terrific rain skirt for my long shanks which works a treat. Thanks to GWM who mentioned the lead curtain string to keep the hem down.
Even with the curtain weights it is surprisingly light and fits in my jacket pocket easily. I did soak it in Fabsil gold, just to be on the safe side.IIt was great up on the moors when the clouds opened and forgot to stop raining for hours.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dodgylegs

Re: DIY Gear
« Reply #1 on: 00:57:10, 03/09/20 »
Can't beat a bit of good news! Well done to you & your Mrs!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 01:02:48, 03/09/20 »
Can't beat a bit of good news! Well done to you & your Mrs!
It was all down to her, I think she couldn't cope with my whining.
Joking aside she is a great seamstress.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:32:23, 03/09/20 »
My own DIY efforts have included a 'Scat Trowel' for wild camping, made of some 1/8" aluminium extruded bar, and a windshield for my Primus made from Innis and Gunn lager cans.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:02:33, 03/09/20 »
I bought a pair of boots inserts last year which slope from one side to the other (1/4" thick along one side, 1/16" along the other) and they go under or on top of my Sorbothane inserts.  For me, a great way to keep my ankles at 90 degrees when I walk, more comfortable for me over distance and my boot soles now wear evenly. I use them in my main boots but I also use them as a template for my other boots and shoes. I just use old trainer inserts, I draw the insert shape with a marker pen and then cut them with a pair of scissors to what I need.

Looking back I didn't really need to buy the inserts at all, it was just the template shape that was needed.