Author Topic: Well that's another pair of boots wrecked.  (Read 892 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Well that's another pair of boots wrecked.
« Reply #15 on: 11:43:51, 08/09/20 »
Thanks - I use Gwax from time to time, when I think that they need it. I'm not a saint, though, and the boots have a hard life - I'm out every day with the dog.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:32:57, 08/09/20 »
I'm not a saint, though, and the boots have a hard life - I'm out every day with the dog.

You don't need to be saint but regular dog walking in all weathers is extremely hard on boots and all the more reason to wax them more frequently. It's a 5 or 10 minute job at most and can be done on autopilot whist watching the telly.  ;)

I'm sure you would find regularly using the Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Oil high oil content wax on the high wear areas such as the tongue and flex points in combination with the G-Wax all over would make a big difference to the wear and condition of the leather over time. Of course sod's law then says that the bloody sole will fall off!

To spread the wear and extend their life my personal preference would be to keep my decent walking boots for their intended purpose and for the daily dog walking I would look at using the Altberg Defender military boots available via eBay - new from around 55 upwards or used about 25 upwards, they're unlined, quick drying and cheap enough to replace as and when they wear out or alternatively the Haix Combat High Liability Boots or Haix Cold Wet Weather Boots.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/military-issue-boots10/mens-defender-combat-boot
« Last Edit: 15:29:38, 08/09/20 by kinkyboots »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 07:35:56, 11/09/20 »
Couldn't find any Anatom Q3 Braeriachs to try on despite scouring Ambleside and ringing Kendalsposts, so bought a pair of Hi Tec Summit's for 100 yesterday; my wife already has a pair of Hi Tec Ravines, pretty much the same boot, and is pleased with them. [/size]

Rather underwhelmed, but they should do the job for a while - only time will tell. Must buy some Cherry Blossom!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:30:36, 11/09/20 »
Hope the Hi-Tec Summits work out for you although whether they are up to the rigours of the dual role imposed by both your daily dog walking and your normal walking/hiking expoits only time will tell.

The one thing that was mentioned a few times in the reviews I read and worth bearing in mind was people having to replace the insoles as those supplied with the boots were pretty poor and caused problems with feet moving about inside the boot.

Whilst you've got these it's probably worth keeping and eye out for the Anatom Q3 Braeriachs on any of your out of town sorties. The Anatom Q2 Classic might also be worth checking out at the same time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:07:11, 21/09/20 »
Thanks, kinkyboots. I've kept my old split boots for routine dog walking duty - should save some of the wear on the new Hi Tec boots.

..and in anticipation of some good snow on the fells, I have hunted out my old double tongued leather Alpine boots - weigh a ton but great for kicking steps in the snow, and they take crampons well. They've had a clean and a liberal application of the Altberg Leder-Gris wax/oil. Still in reasonable condition after 35 years!