Author Topic: Replace Fibre Glass Tent pole  (Read 489 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Replace Fibre Glass Tent pole
« Reply #15 on: 00:07:21, 12/09/20 »
Do not consider carbon fibre for a tent hoop. In my experience they are more fragile than cheapo fibreglass poles and very little lighter than aluminium ones. Also stupidly expensive.

Yeah, thanks, I did remember you posted about your decision to go aluminium back in March.

To be quite Frank I had seen samples from a certain huge  Asian country that looks and feels worse than glass fibre.

Hardys of Alnwick make really high quality stuff but the price is way, way above the value of a mid price new tent.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:27:44, 12/09/20 »
Do you have any idea what the radius of curvature of your pole arch is, Jimbob?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

« Reply #17 on: 11:56:24, 12/09/20 »
Do not consider carbon fibre for a tent hoop. In my experience they are more fragile than cheapo fibreglass poles and very little lighter than aluminium ones. Also stupidly expensive.

Yes, the disadvantage of carbon fibre poles is that while it is very strong for the intended use, it is more prone to breaking than aluminium in situations that it wasn't designed for. For example, when you accidentally step on it. For this reason I have also chosen aluminium poles.

However, an advantage of carbon fibre poles is that they are generally more stiff and therefore more stable in strong winds.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/