Author Topic: What hat to wear under a hood?  (Read 1050 times)

Eyelet

Re: What hat to wear under a hood?
« Reply #15 on: 11:12:38, 28/09/20 »
I have my list to choose from, the Lowe Alpine, one from Sealskin, one from Extremities, one from Montane and one from Highlander. They all look very similar.

For me the deciding factors will be a) how breathable is the outer fabric, b) how thick is the insulation layer (these will determine how sweaty it is likely to be) and c) how you like the design relative to the original Lowe cap you lost. I suspect you will have to gets hands-on (or on-head) to check this out O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:07:44, 28/09/20 »
Yes, I'm hoping to. I know very well that the marketing of a product can often be very far removed from the reality of the product. I've just returned from my daily run (where I always do my best thinking) and my brain now tells me that I am much more likely in the next 6 months to go running rather than to go walking so the Raidlight MP running hat has now gone to the top of my list.

As I sit in front of my PC thinking of buying a waterproof hat it reminds me what I hate about on line shopping, the sneaky way how some firms will try to sell a product which they claim involves free delivery and just at the point of handing over the money they try to slip in a delivery charge!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:56:57, 28/09/20 »
Raidlight looks good. I might get one!
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:42:10, 30/09/20 »
I finally made up my mind and bought two hats, the Raidlight waterproof running hat (because I know that I will continue running through the winter) and instead of buying another Lowe Alpine Hat at about 27 I decided to take a chance and buy cheap, so I bought a Highlander waterproof hiking hat for 9.95. They look a similar design and both will cover my ears. I won't know if I've made a reasonable purchase until it arrives.

The Highlander hat was easy to buy and the price included free posting. However the Raidlight appeared to be just below 20 until I got to the 'checkout' and all of the firms who were selling them had postage charges. In the end I bought from Kong Running in Keswick, they proved to be the cheapest but not by much, only about 1.50.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:13:37, 01/10/20 »
I still recon the Lowe Alpine Triple Point ceramic Mountain Cap, is the best all rounder.
Firstly, its still very competitively priced, and provides superb protection in all weathers, and can be even worn even in the winter, under the necessary clothing.

I was exceptionally glad i had mine in my daysac, whilst nearing the plateau of Benn Nevis.

I wore a lightweight waterproof over the clothing i was wearing, and the close fitting nature, and warmth of the cap, meant i was in perfect control of my temperature.

It was a beautiful sunny day, back in October 2018, but bitterly cold, even though there was little wind, it took me ages to get the circulation back into my hands, after the essential selfie shot on the summit.

The cap remained on my head, even when i was almost back at the Glen Nevis visitor carpark, as i find the breathability of the fabric rather good.

The weather has to be pretty warm, for the cap to be too hot to wear, but even in the summer months, when its lashing it down, the cap gets used, and has never let me down.

The thing i find most impressive about the Lowe Mountain Cap, is that it still remains very affordable, and is beautifully made.

Only 30 at Cotswolds, which represents very good value.

Thankfully i still have my Mountain Cap, after nearly ten years, and would not hesitate in buying another if i lost it.
« Last Edit: 17:23:20, 01/10/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Stube

« Reply #20 on: 20:14:20, 03/10/20 »
My got to hikeing hat is a 1 Poundland waterproof fishing hat - It has an all round brim to keep the rain off my glasses and the sun off the top of my ears. I've added a cord and toggle to keep it on my head in strong winds. Nothing else comes remotely close for value for money.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:22:55, 03/10/20 »
My Raidlight waterproof running hat came this morning and because it was on/off raining I decided to go out for a run through the woods. It took me a short while to get used to it, it's very light and it has a piece of material that protects the neck which can be taken off and then put on again when needed. By the end of my run, I thought it had worked very well. I've never owned a running hat before but it was great not having to worry about blobs of water falling on my bald head and it worked especially well when running through the wood where larger droplets of water merged together on the leaves and then fell on me. Also I liked it because I no longer had water running down the back of my neck. I'm going to have to do a small modification, the piece of material that hangs at the back of my neck is secured to the hat by little circular velcro pads and two of them are not in the correct place so it hangs a bit off centre. Easy to modify though, I might even sew it to the hat so that its permanently in place?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:07:25, 13/10/20 »
I wash my hair in Nikwax. Beads off lovely and saves a few ounces of hat.

OK I don't really but I have thought about it  ;D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:56:28, 13/10/20 »
I wash my hair in Nikwax. Beads off lovely and saves a few ounces of hat.

OK I don't really but I have thought about it  ;D
Dispense with the hair (I have). Skin is naturally waterproof. If not, we would be in a right mess  :D