Author Topic: TR - Chiltern Commons  (Read 711 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Chiltern Commons
« Reply #15 on: 10:29:48, 02/10/20 »
Errors are not uncommon in guide books and apart from these the landscape can change in a relatively short time span. Stiles, fences, hedgerows, even ponds can disappear, while new fences are erected and there are new property or agricultural building developments.

I overcome them by completely ignoring the written directions and following the book or leaflet map on my OS 1:25k map. This is more or less foolproof, you can do it with even the simplest line drawings. Of course, when one is presented with a clear OS map of the route such as the NT example I gave above, and one then turns the wrong way at a junction, that is one's own stupid fault.

cpjmathieson

« Reply #16 on: 19:51:17, 06/10/20 »
Nice walk and pics O0  I love the Chilterns!!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:25:08, 06/10/20 »
Thanks Chris.
I must confess that I like my countryside a bit more unkempt if possible, I walk Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire because they are convenient.

cpjmathieson

« Reply #18 on: 20:28:26, 06/10/20 »
I agree Ridge but likewise Chilterns and Herts are just an hour away for mr.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 07:47:24, 12/10/20 »
I mentioned to a friend who lives in Chesham that I was walking near there recently and they said that they would come along next time I was in the area so we are now meeting up tomorrow. Another friend has asked to come along so one of them is going to do some of this walk, terminating at a pub at lunchtime, and the other will do all of it.
Its only just occurred to me that I am 'walk leader' tomorrow and should have things with me that I should always take, but don't normally on this sort of walk, like first aid kit etc.
I'm normally a fairly antisocial walker and can not think of the last time I walked all day with someone who is not a member of my family.
It will be good to see them both. I've not seen one since May, the other since March and the 3 of us haven't been together since Christmas. But I can't decide if I am looking forward to walking with other people or not.

PatrickJ

« Reply #20 on: 23:51:35, 12/10/20 »
I mentioned to a friend who lives in Chesham that I was walking near there recently and they said that they would come along next time I was in the area so we are now meeting up tomorrow. Another friend has asked to come along so one of them is going to do some of this walk, terminating at a pub at lunchtime, and the other will do all of it.
Its only just occurred to me that I am 'walk leader' tomorrow and should have things with me that I should always take, but don't normally on this sort of walk, like first aid kit etc.
I'm normally a fairly antisocial walker and can not think of the last time I walked all day with someone who is not a member of my family.
It will be good to see them both. I've not seen one since May, the other since March and the 3 of us haven't been together since Christmas. But I can't decide if I am looking forward to walking with other people or not.

I'm not a people person at the best of times but I can't imagine walking with others - it's something I enjoy doing very much by myself.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:15:48, 13/10/20 »

I'm not a people person at the best of times but I can't imagine walking with others - it's something I enjoy doing very much by myself.
You and me both Patrick, we should go walking separately sometime  ;)
Actually we had a really good time, one turned up in walking boots and the other in cowboy boots.

PatrickJ

« Reply #22 on: 18:49:08, 13/10/20 »
You and me both Patrick, we should go walking separately sometime  ;)

Sounds lovely, let's agree a walk and you do it Saturday and I'll do it Sunday.  We can compare walk reports on the forum!   :D