Author Topic: New Boots - What an Overwhelming and Frustrating Process  (Read 1324 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: New Boots - What an Overwhelming and Frustrating Process
« Reply #30 on: 14:24:49, 09/10/20 »
I'm now torn between buying Scarpa Ranger 2 GTX Activ and Scarpa R-Evo GTX.

The Ranger is leather and similar to my present solid, clumpy and weighty boots, with the suede and fabric R-Evo being a good deal lighter, while it gets good reviews particularly for comfort, and it is praised by members on this forum.

But I am quite mindful of a post by Kinkyboots a year ago, in which he said,
"The waterproof liners in most if not all leather/fabric combination boots fail at some point in their life rendering the boots useless in wet weather... Full leather boots are a much safer and cost effective option as they will still remain waterproof even when the waterproof liners have failed providing that you regularly wax them."

Birdman

« Reply #31 on: 14:53:24, 09/10/20 »
@fernman, Apart from just personal preference, you need to consider what you are using them for. These two options also have different soles. That is always the first thing I look at. Because I often carry much weight, I want a relatively stiff and stable boot, because soft (mid)soles will wreck my feet. But if you use them mainly for day hikes you can do with more flexible (and lighter) boots or even trainers. Personally for me the sole is a more important consideration than water resistance. So, I always end up with quite heavy boots because of the requirements I have for the sole. But other people climb mountains on Crocs, without any problems! It's all so personal!
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 15:11:33, 09/10/20 »
@fernman

You might also want to take into account that suede is not a material which is well suited to the wet UK climate. Suede is better suited for use in cold dry alpine climates. Suede takes an age to dry once wet, is difficult to keep looking respectable and requires continual maintenace with a waterproof spray to keep the water beading off - not cheap.

I would once again point you towards the Altberg Fremington or Malham (depending which suits and fits your feet the best) as per my PM of 4 weeks ago. Both are full leather and both will save weight compared to the Scarpa Ranger 2 GTX Activ. Both can be used year round and can be resoled when necessary.

Perhaps you need to stop basing and limiting your boot choice around what your local Cotswolds stock and broaden your horizons and be prepared to travel a bit which I realise is not easy for you at the moment.

PatrickJ

« Reply #33 on: 18:05:37, 09/10/20 »
You might also want to take into account that suede is not a material which is well suited to the wet UK climate. Suede is better suited for use in cold dry alpine climates. Suede takes an age to dry once wet, is difficult to keep looking respectable and requires continual maintenace with a waterproof spray to keep the water beading off - not cheap.

@fernman

I'm very happy with my R-Evo's (only done 2 walks on them thus far) but @kinkyboots' point around Suede is a consideration that I hadn't thought of before purchasing mine.  The suede uppers took around 3 days to dry after they got a thorough soaking last weekend.  Luckily living in the south east things here are relatively dry compared with other regions through Britian and so I'm not too concerned about this for me and the majority of my walking.

At one point whilst I was looking at boots I did consider two pairs, a light weight suede / fabric for general use and a pair of full leathers like the Ranger or Bhutan for those wet and boggy days out.  I'll have to see how the R-Evo's do over the coming months and if I have issues may revisit this idea.
« Last Edit: 18:08:47, 09/10/20 by PatrickJ »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:36:20, 09/10/20 »
Thanks for your input Birdman, Kinkyboots and PatrickJ.
I had already thought about the days when I've walked through lots of brown liquid gloop, and I assumed I'd be able to come home and scrub or hose it off. Or then there's the days I've spent walking through wet upland vegetation.
Now I know better, thank you.