Author Topic: Small, lightweight internal tent light for long winter nights  (Read 756 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
I bet, but does it make you feel like an inventive superlight backpacker?  ;D

If you shop at Sainsburys everything will look a weird colour.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
I like the whole of Dartmoor to see I shop at Waitrose!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Thanks Kinkyboots for your suggestion. I bought a flexi light with a USB end from Amazon, less than 5, including postage, your suggestion seems to be a great idea. I can also use the jiffy bag it came in again, brilliant! My phone battery pack has two USB sockets so I'll try it out properly in my tent in the garden on Friday night.

I can also use it to light up my keyboard at night at home. A really simple and clever little gadget. I obviously know so little about such things but that doesn't matter, now I do!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Glad you are happy with it but the proof of the pudding will be in the 'real world' testing.

Hopefully it will be fine for your needs but as with all electrical items nothing lasts forever and there's probably a good reason why they're also sold in packs of 3 or more.

From a safety point of view just keep an eye on the level of heat it may give off from the point of view of it possibly being a potential fire risk.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
From a safety point of view just keep an eye on the level of heat it may give off from the point of view of it possibly being a potential fire risk.

Hmm - one of the Amazon reviews did mention it getting "very hot".
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member

Hmm - one of the Amazon reviews did mention it getting "very hot".

Depends which particular one gunwharfman ended up buying.

There will be both good and bad Chinese made ones but you can probably say with some degree of certainty that they will probably all be Chinese made.

I think it's just a case of making sure it doesn't come into direct contact with the sleeping bag or tent material particularly if you nod off or fall asleep whilst reading but the same could be said of any light/lantern.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I'll keep a special eye open for overheating. Such a simple clever idea. If it proves to be unsuitable for what I want, I'll buy the other small lamp thats been suggested.