Author Topic: Afternoon walk along Prom  (Read 193 times)

Dodgylegs

Afternoon walk along Prom
« on: 19:20:23, 15/10/20 »
What an awful start to the day, it can only get better.
Weather was dark, cloudy and misty, but need to get out for my daily leg strengthening exercises, so fancied a trip to the coast.
Arrived at Roker seafront, cloud lifting, few drops of rain but a threatening sky. Walk down to marina, full of boats bobbing about then onto seafront heading northwards, it was a high tide, waves crashing ashore bringing lots of debris. Wind was quite fresh and cold. Lots of people about, mainly oldies and dog walkers out for a stroll. Waves were crashing over promenade at Seaburn, wish Iíd brought the camera! One strange event was taking place, as a well proportioned lass was sitting in the sea with waves crashing all over her, just sitting there chatting to a couple of other lasses, she was causing a lot of head shaking when people saw her. Further along at South Bents clouds were disappearing, sun came through it transformed the day Tide was starting to turn and hundreds of birds were after their food, lovely to see so many Starlings amongst them. Found a sheltered seat to stop and watch all that was going on. A couple of surfers turned up, but didnít seem able to catch the right wave. Heading further along towards Whitburn a bird of prey was just hovering above some long grass on cliff tops, it was amazing watching itís control as it constantly adjusted itself to stay in one place. Three people coming the other way also stopped to watch, they were walking from Whitley Bay to Sunderland, didnít seem to friendly, Whitley Bay types? As I moved on northwards the bird followed hovering just over my head, it was a beautiful Peregrine Falcon. It came down on the grass in front of me landing just as a nearby ice cream van set off itís chimes so immediately took to the air before disappearing from view. Walked as far as the firing range then decided to turn around and head back, along the beach at one point amongst all the birds running back and forth. Arrived back at the marina just as three wee lasses were to have their first paddle board lesson. They were lovely lasses, we had a laugh about who was going to be first to fall in, after starting on their knees they were so confident they were soon standing up Ö no one fell in! Just then the three walkers passed by, said hello, they deliberately blanked me and walked silently byÖ
« Last Edit: 22:22:25, 15/10/20 by Dodgylegs »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Afternoon walk along Prom
« Reply #1 on: 19:50:48, 15/10/20 »
Is unfriendliness a Whiley Bay thing? My wifes realives are from 'up North' and we've heard it said before. i'm sure we have such people 'down South' as well.

Our day today was sunny, a bit windy and a bit chilly but very nice. Like here, people are always promenading along the seafront, all sorts from everywhere, every day.

Our marina is jam packed with all sorts of boats, sail, motor and ribs, plus our local fishing boats, plus Ben Ainsley's Americas Cup catamaran factory. As soon as he arrived all of the local pub, restaurant and cafe prices went up. The local businesses thought they would have a bonaza but it didn't work out that way so prices dropped again. We even have a 'multi story' boat park at the edge of the marina and some of the boats have never touched water, just another shopping opportunity for some.

I usually have an early morning wander down to our seafront about once or twice a week and if I want to view a particular ship at close range I just go to the top of the Round Tower, a Henry 8th building at the harbour entrance. A great place for waving friends and family on their way to, or coming from France and/or Spain. For those who are into ships the best place to be when the latest aircraft carrier goes in and out of Portsmouth. You have to get there early though, it quickly fills up!

Dodgylegs

« Reply #2 on: 11:41:14, 16/10/20 »
Had relatives who lived just outside Whitley Bay and they weren't too complimentary about folks from there, never mind it was great to have a good laugh with the youngsters!

Used to visit friends in Lymington, boats are very popular! Have a distant memory of Sunderland Flying boat museum.

There is a wall created in Sunderland of all the ships built on the Wear, by year completed, giving clear indication of the decline in shipbuilding. It's amazing how many were built on such a small twisty river.

Favourite memory of the marina was during an exceptionally high tide, waves were coming over the pier/harbour walls and straight up the river. The marine had a huge rise and fall in water levels, coming up over the marina walls and quickly dropping, creating an amazing musical event from the water being push through and then sucked out of the drain pipes. Incredible!

Have never seen a marina when all the boats have gone sailing!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:16:39, 17/10/20 »
My wife and I lived in Lymington 30 years ago, it was one of those 'it seemed a good idea at the time'. We were still working in London at the time and commuting was no problem for us, we both had good cars and we could always drive outside of rush hour times. The mistake we made was getting from Lymington to the M3, even in the winter we had loads of New Forest towing caravans to worry about, in the summer is was 'the pits!' Lyndhurst and Brockenhurst, just two lovely bottle necks! We lasted for two years and then moved to Portsmouth.

We will always remember our next door neighbours though, wife was a Superman enthusiast, she named her two sons Clark and Kent! Husband loved his garden and his lawn. So much so that on one dark winter night we heard an almighty row going on, he had hired two gas powered very bright lights, one at each end of his lawn, his lawn was as bright as a summers day! He mowed the grass and then used their vacuum cleaner to suck up the grass that had been left behind by the mower. She was LIVID, very loud as well, plus a few choice words.!We just kept our head down.

Dodgylegs

« Reply #4 on: 17:59:52, 17/10/20 »
Believe it or not it was actually @ 30 years ago when we used to go down to Lymington.

Travelled down on quite a few occasions, leaving late Friday afternoon, only to get stuck in the Lyndhurst - Brockenhurst bottlenecks!

Friends lived in a newly built house with a small garden, although never met the neighbours! Haha loved your neighbours tale!... wonder how Clark & Kent are getting on now? .. working in super jobs (markets maybe!). Just checked and friends local was the Monkey House and occasionally ended up in Wellworthys Club. Can recall trips to Isle of Wight and Milford Beach, ah happy days!
« Last Edit: 21:38:21, 17/10/20 by Dodgylegs »