Author Topic: kilsyth to preston  (Read 448 times)

tom1maple

kilsyth to preston
« on: 18:14:54, 08/11/20 »
hi
i am planning a charity run/ walk from kilsyth in scotland to preston lancashire and want to make sure any route i plan has safe footpaths and are not just for cars.
can anyone tell me how i can plan this so i'm not just shadowing the busy main roads and covering nicer routes with paths.
i've looked on map my run but am unsure if it is walker friendly
best regards
tom

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: kilsyth to preston
« Reply #1 on: 20:34:17, 08/11/20 »
You could look at the LDWA website which shows long distance footpaths which you could link up.  For instance you could use the Clyde Walkway, then the Annandale Way, then the Cumbria Way which would get you the the South Lakes, then you could link up footpaths which would take you to the Arnside area.  The Long distance walks bit on the Walk Highlands website would give you more details on scottish paths.

tom1maple

« Reply #2 on: 20:59:20, 08/11/20 »
thanks for this.. really appreciate your reply.. will have a look at the Ldwa
best regards
tom

Sevenup

« Reply #3 on: 21:32:15, 08/11/20 »
Might be worth looking at the Scottish National Trail to Kirk Yetholm. It might passon the canal above Kilsyth. If not, the John Muir Way would make the link possible. From Kirk Yetholm the Pennine Way would take you to Hadrianís wall. Not too sure after that but it might bepossible to link up with the C2C route towards the Lake District Iíd need to look. Almost all of that is off-road. Some of it fairly serious walking in tough terrain. Itís also a bit roundabout since it goes east then south into the borders before heading back west. Good luck

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:36:16, 08/11/20 »
Might be worth looking at the Scottish National Trail to Kirk Yetholm. It might passon the canal above Kilsyth. If not, the John Muir Way would make the link possible. From Kirk Yetholm the Pennine Way would take you to Hadrianís wall. Not too sure after that but it might bepossible to link up with the C2C route towards the Lake District Iíd need to look. Almost all of that is off-road. Some of it fairly serious walking in tough terrain. Itís also a bit roundabout since it goes east then south into the borders before heading back west. Good luck

I was about to post the same.The Ribble Way would be the ideal finish as it passes through Preston and can be picked up from the Pennine Way at Ribblehead.
Account terminated with immediate effect-Moderator.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:28:36, 09/11/20 »
Scottish National Trail, Pennine Way and the Ribble Way was what sprang to my mind.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

tom1maple

« Reply #6 on: 13:03:58, 09/11/20 »
thanks everyone.. these are routes i hadn't thought of so really appreciate your help

Sevenup

« Reply #7 on: 13:28:21, 09/11/20 »
thanks everyone.. these are routes i hadn't thought of so really appreciate your help

Iím going to be curious about 1) your existing plans and 2) what route you eventually choose. Feel free to keep us (me) updated.

tom1maple

« Reply #8 on: 13:53:48, 09/11/20 »
i will thanks.. i do ultra marathons and my dad died last week.. i promised him i'd do a run from his birthplace kilsyth to Preston where i live in memory of him and to raise a small amount for mari curie who where a great help.. i had provisionally looked at shadowing the A74 then M6 but felt it was a  bit bleak.. so these routes will be a much nicer route.. i've to wait for covid restrictions to ease and better weather as it will take me a few days so i'll post my journey on here if anyone is interested..
thanks
tom

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:16:43, 09/11/20 »
I'm sorry to hear abut your Dad; the run will be a wonderful way to remember him. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long before restriction make it possible. Let us (the forum) know when you go and how you are making the donation to Marie Curie; I am sure many of us also have had reason to be grateful to them.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

tom1maple

« Reply #10 on: 14:26:37, 09/11/20 »
i will, thanks
tom

Sevenup

« Reply #11 on: 16:30:32, 09/11/20 »
i will thanks.. i do ultra marathons and my dad died last week.. i promised him i'd do a run from his birthplace kilsyth to Preston where i live in memory of him and to raise a small amount for mari curie who where a great help.. i had provisionally looked at shadowing the A74 then M6 but felt it was a  bit bleak.. so these routes will be a much nicer route.. i've to wait for covid restrictions to ease and better weather as it will take me a few days so i'll post my journey on here if anyone is interested..
thanks
tom

Sorry to hear about your dad. I would like to hear about your journey when you get the opportunity. If you have a Just Giving page or similar some folk might (or not) contribute. My days of running far are long gone but always interested in different perspectives on familiar routes.

tom1maple

« Reply #12 on: 17:27:13, 09/11/20 »
thanks.. i will..
best regards
tom

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:58:05, 09/11/20 »
Scottish National Trail, Pennine Way and the Ribble Way was what sprang to my mind.
That looks a good option but goes a long way east. Looking at a more direct route you could take John Muir way, canal towpaths footpaths through Glasgow and pick up the Clyde Walkway. Then theres a gap before you can pick up the Annandale Way to Annan. Another gap to Carlisle, then the Cumbria Way to near Ambleside, footpaths to Windermere. Pick up the Dales way to near Ribblehead and then Ribble way to Preston. If you can find some way of filling in those two gaps that could be a shorter route. As it looks like you were originally looking at walking along roads, there may be minor roads you can use to link up.

tom1maple

« Reply #14 on: 19:06:13, 09/11/20 »
this looks a good route if i can join it up.. hoping to keep it as near as i can to the 185 direct miles as it's a long way .. thanks.. will explore this route
best regards
tom