Author Topic: 2021 plans  (Read 816 times)

watershed

Re: 2021 plans
« Reply #15 on: 16:12:19, 29/12/20 »
2020 cancelled a planned multi day walk from the Scottish Borders back to Shetland.
Looks like a no go again for 2021.
Was going to follow that up with a walk of the Great Glen Way with the same local church Group that I walked the Highland way with in 2019. Also cancelled.

Ended up doing all my walking in Shetland this year. No Hardship, if fact quite poignant really, as it was the last year I will be able to walk here without looking at a major windfarm.

I had previously plotted and walked the Shetland Mainland Watershed in a 97 mile continuous walk.
So instead of going South I plotted and walked the other two significant Islands on Shetlands Watershed. Yell 34 miles and Unst 17 Miles with my oldest Son Liam.
As far as I know this is the first time it has been done.

I have entered the TGO 2021 Scottish West Coast to East Coast walk. So I have that to look forward to.
It will be different his year as we wont be able to have the usual meet ups on route. And will probably have to carry the full  2 weeks worth of grub, as shops and cafes cant be relied on. But that's okay as it will encourage me to design a wilder less travelled route.

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: 16:33:20, 29/12/20 »
I cancelled a long (~4 months) solo walk in the USA in 2020.

What are the steps to get a visa for that length? Obviously I am assuming that you are not an American citizen.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:41:13, 29/12/20 »

What are the steps to get a visa for that length? Obviously I am assuming that you are not an American citizen.

You can travel for 3 months on an ESTA (no visa required). With a B-2 visa (tourist) you can stay up to 6 months per year. You need to apply in person at the US embassy (you'll get an interview to explain your itinerary, finances, etc). The cost was US$160, but it is multiple entry and valid for 10 years so that's not too bad. I got my visa in 2018 and expect to use it for at least two more long visits.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: 16:43:26, 29/12/20 »
Thanks. I had always used the Visa Waiver programme before. Hadn't thought of applying for a visa. Anyway, waiting for normality.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:49:18, 29/12/20 »
Thanks. I had always used the Visa Waiver programme before. Hadn't thought of applying for a visa. Anyway, waiting for normality.

Yes, I have used that too before. Often 3 months is enough, but for my PCT hike I needed 5 months. An additional advantage of having a visa is that you beat the long queues. You even need to queue if travelling via the USA to for example South America. I have almost missed my plane because of the long queues.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:28:38, 31/12/20 »
I'm hoping to do walks, walks and more walks in 2021 and to get further afield than I did this year.  How far afield depends, of course, on the covid situation. I find that going walking does so much for my mental well-being and this has become more so during 2020.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:38:22, 31/12/20 »
Thawing out, after a round of the Diffwys skyline, this afternoon.

Oh my, was it cold, not especially windy THANK THE LORD, but bitterly bitterly cold, easily below freezing.

It was only the second time this year, that i was able to put the Buffalo to good effect, but there will be some naughty boys and girls attempting Snowdon tonight, that's guaranteed, even though they have been warned to stay well away/

I recon conditions 3560ft in the sky, will be extremely challenging, as the temperature did not venture north of 3C the whole day, here in Dyff.

Secretly i wish i was joining them, but conditions would have been treacherous, and possibly beyond my skills as a walker.