Author Topic: Inexpensive breathable jacket  (Read 577 times)

Bman1

Inexpensive breathable jacket
« on: 21:50:39, 29/12/20 »
Hi Everyone,
newbie here so not sure if this should have gone in the Bargain thread, but thought it easier to find here.
Jacket is a Trespass DLX Oswalt jacket:

(amazon.co.uk/Oswalt-Waterproof-Removable-Underarm-Ventilation/dp/B010Q6XWHK/ref=asc_df_B010Q6XWH0/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=344340269007&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7722432275372520593&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045837&hvtargid=pla-716362288254&th=1&psc=1)

Now I know what you are thinking "Trespass?!", but the DLX is their top of range outdoor wear; I have owned all the top names and this compares with them for quality/finish. I bought one of these and am really impressed with it; spent 6 hrs walking in the Lakeland rain and a) it didn't leak, and b) I didn't melt/sweat.
Well specced jacket for the money with Trespass own version of Goretex. Has storm hood, storm flap and pit zips. Not an ultra lightweight so good when carrying a heavyish ruchsack.
Occasionally the funny sizes (S, XL) are even at a better price, so it might be worth looking at size/colour options.

For an idea of sizing, I like my jackets to fit and not flap. I am 38 chest, 5,10, slim build (72kg) and I took a small. I can fit the standard t-shirt and fleece underneath and still have moveability. I have even worn it with a standard down gilet underneath and it worked well; probably need to be one of the micro down if it was a fully sleeved jacket.
Any Q's just ask.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Inexpensive breathable jacket
« Reply #1 on: 09:09:19, 30/12/20 »
No experience of Trespass gear, but the jacket looks as if it will do the job. I'm not a fan of removable hoods, though.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ray-S

« Reply #2 on: 16:08:53, 31/12/20 »

I bought one of these in bright yellow (when that colour was available) a few weeks ago thinking 120 down to 42 (as it was then) and advertised as breathable it would be a good buy.  Nice fit, looks good on and light to carry but not very breathable so not very impressed.
Ok for walking into town but not great when working hard.

https://www.craghoppers.com/lucas-jacket-steel-blue-molten-yellow/

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:42:38, 31/12/20 »
Is 72 too much, if not, then head straight to the Graghoppers main website, and order yourself one of their Expolite hooded jackets.

Lovely quality, and keeps you warm as toast

Its now down to 63, so more of a bargain
« Last Edit: 17:10:28, 01/01/21 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Bman1

« Reply #4 on: 18:59:28, 31/12/20 »
Craghoppers used to be really good; I still have a 45l pack that I use on a regular basis, the waterproof inner has gone (so I replaced it with a drysack) but the rest is fine. Unfortunately I have found they have gone the same way as Karrimoor, are Craghoppers another SportsDirect casualty?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:27:23, 31/12/20 »
Craghoppers used to be really good; I still have a 45l pack that I use on a regular basis, the waterproof inner has gone (so I replaced it with a drysack) but the rest is fine. Unfortunately I have found they have gone the same way as Karrimoor, are Craghoppers another SportsDirect casualty?

Craghoppers have been part of the Regatta Group which also owns Dare 2B, Hawkhead and one or two other brand names since 1995.

Their Kiwi trousers are still well regarded and represent excellent value for money although like a lot of these type of companies they just don't know when to leave a successful product alone and are continually fiddling with the formula which made their name and reputation and making slight changes to try and reduce their manufacturing costs and increase their profits.

nesty

« Reply #6 on: 19:42:20, 31/12/20 »
Craghoppers have been part of the Regatta Group which also owns Dare 2B, Hawkhead and one or two other brand names since 1995.

Their Kiwi trousers are still well regarded and represent excellent value for money although like a lot of these type of companies they just don't know when to leave a successful product alone and are continually fiddling with the formula which made their name and reputation and making slight changes to try and reduce their manufacturing costs and increase their profits.

I struggle with walking trouser fitment, I am not sure, if this is a change of when things moved to China. A lot of the trousers are low rise or slim fit, which just I don't feel comfortable in!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:28:51, 01/01/21 »
During the past few weeks, I've experimented with my jackets. Today, for example, it was cold and frosty and I just wore my base layer, my down jacket and my windproof jacket. As I was on the flat, walking and I didn't perspire, I was as warm as toast. And the reason for this I believe was primarily because of my windproof. For me my most important bit of clothing.

The other day I used my synthetic jacket over a base layer and under my windproof jacket, on the same route, the same result.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:27:28, 01/01/21 »

For sure, if I knew how difficult it would be to replace my goldilocks 3-season boots from Raichl I'd have bought half a dozen pairs several years ago so I could walk in the equivalent of hiking slippers for a couple of decades.  Alas, I assumed they'd always be available and didn't bother.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:47:33, 02/01/21 »
I had a couple of pairs of those Raichle boots, loved them dearly. A Friend did stick a pair in the attic for when they stopped making them, and when the time came found her feet had changed shape and they no longer fitted. A bit like the way if you try to future proof your walking clothes they mysteriously shrink in the back of the drawer