Author Topic: Karrimor boots  (Read 445 times)

Valentino 2000

Karrimor boots
« on: 16:36:56, 06/01/21 »
Hello everyone, I bought Karrimor Helix Mid boots in November 2020 from Amazon uk and after 45 days they were already torn and unglued.  I can't believe the quality of these shoes. Shoes should be used only in urban conditions. How is that possible?
 I tried to inform Amazon, but they do not have an email on their site.  I wrote a few words about the purchase on their website (no more) but I did not receive a response from them. 

I can't attach photos, no option in forum.
« Last Edit: 17:05:58, 06/01/21 by Valentino 2000 »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Karrimor boots
« Reply #1 on: 17:20:11, 06/01/21 »
I find Karrimor Walking shoes. Excellent value for money and very comfortable.  I have had several pairs over the years and never had any issues with them. I always buy any foot ware in store though.  That way I know they fit and should there ever be a problem, I also know where to take them back too.   O0

Should we ever hear from you again welcome to the forum.  :)

Peak

« Reply #2 on: 19:39:24, 06/01/21 »
A few months after Sports Direct got the Karrimor brand I bought some boots from them and told a friend who also bought some as they were half price. His lasted 3 months,mine 4, we decided to cut through the soles to look at the construction, its just like honeycomb. For years Karrimor was a very trusted brand for all walkers & campers, I would not trust the brand now if I was offered free. This is just my opinion after a few disappointing experiences with the brand.

Valentino 2000

« Reply #3 on: 20:46:56, 06/01/21 »
Thanks for the answers! I'm sorry I can't attach photos to see them. I am very shocked and disappointed with these shoes ... maybe a model. I'm sorry to take up your time with this my problem.

windyrigg

« Reply #4 on: 11:18:53, 07/01/21 »
Another great brand that seems to be coming apart!
I bought a Karrimor Jaguar haversack in the early 1980's, still going strong after loads of use, the spec compares well to modern bags and it's still my go to for longer distances / multi day walks.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:09:23, 07/01/21 »
I too still regularly use my 66 litre Karrimor Jaguar rucksack - still going strong after more than 35 years!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:28:30, 07/01/21 »
Agree with that. I still have a Karrimor rucksack from the 80s that gets used for longer winter walks and plus a full set of bags for my push bike, that don't get used these days, but are still in great condition.  Edit Richard posted whilst I was typing.  Mine is a Blue Jaguar S65 from the 1982 season.

I have not bought any foot ware at all since Covid hit.  I currently have 4 pairs of Karrimoor shoes that get worn all the time. I have a pair on as I type. Two for general use one pair for hill walking and my old walking pair, that I now carry if I am planning to ford a deepish stream.

I had one pervious pair start to delaminate on a walk a few years back.  I simply stopped and tied a spare lace around the shoe to hold the sole in position while I finished my walk.  Then cleaned and re-glued the sole back on when I got home. Yes they should not do that, but they are cheap as chips for what you get, so I'm happy to suffer the odd quality issue and will be stocking up, if I ever get back into Sports Direct.  O0

What ever happened to make do and mend.  I have paid far more for other brands, where the quality is no better. IMHO.  ;)
« Last Edit: 12:31:38, 07/01/21 by BuzyG »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:08:53, 07/01/21 »
What ever happened to make do and mend.  I have paid far more for other brands, where the quality is no better. IMHO.  ;)

It's called cheap Chinese manufacturing. You get guaranteed make do and mend straight out of the box!  ;D

It all went tits up for Karrimor when they went bust in the recession and closed their factories and the name was bought by a succession of 'groups' with latest being Sports Direct. Enough said.

I think some of the original Karrimor factory staff still work for Lancashire Sport Repairs although most will probably now be retired.

I still own a Karrimor Jaguar E65 bought in the early 80's and it's still going strong. Despite some serious misuse and 'lends' it's bloody indestructable. Karrimor were the clear market leaders back in the 80's. The start of Karrimor's downfall was that their stuff was over engineered and they just made stuff too well and never got any orders for replacements because their gear never wore out so none were ever needed.

In my opinion Karrimor's current boots and shoes on the other hand are total rubbish but they are what they are and cheap. With footwear you do get what you pay for so it's really no good moaning when the inevitable happens.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:45:01, 07/01/21 »
As I've stated previously I used a pair of Karrimor boot in the allotment for years, they were regulary drenched, covered in horses douvres, and used a lot for digging which is hard on the soles of any footwear, eventually the sole and upper parted ways. I have replaced them with another pair of Karrimors. Not just due to the price, but also because they are so comfortable. I own though haven't used for a while, a very comfortable pair of Karrimor Bodmin walking shoes, but am now tending to wear some Berghaus trail runners for walking in, again mainly due to their lightness and comfort. Since I have been stuck on my 6 mile circuits of the local parks and canal I haven't had any need for high boots. Still thinking of popping up to Whalley Bridge when allowed back into society and having a proper measure up and a "rest of my life" pair of Altberg boots sorted.
Too little, too late, too bad......

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:46:37, 07/01/21 »
Valentino's experience, and Peak's too, sounds like the 15 Chinese boots I once bought on Ebay for daily wear. They were falling to pieces and the soles went through before three months were up.

As for the longevity of the original Karrimor products, the 75 litre Jaguar 6 rucksack I bought in 1985 is still going strong.

Peak

« Reply #10 on: 21:48:09, 07/01/21 »
I'm sure we all remember the KSB boots as well, quality.