Author Topic: Modelling, to help me decide when I should buy a new waterproof jacket  (Read 464 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
During Covid-19 I've read and heard a lot about 'modelling' so I thought to myself, have I the ability to design a model to help me decide when I should buy my next waterproof jacket? My model starts with hiking in the dry, to drizzle, to rain, to more rain and then to heavy rain. All done from a subjective viewpoint of course.

Heavy rain I                                   *
                I
 More Rain I                          *
                I                      'X'
         Rain i                 *
                i
    Drizzle  i         *
                i     
     no rain i------drizzle--rain---more rain---heavy rain-->> over Time >>

'X' is my personal assessment of the moment when my present hiking jacket becomes inadequate.

So 'X' tells me the moment when I need to buy a new one!

How did I do?  :-\

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I like graphs and charts (/nerdy confession) but I have to confess I haven't a clue what yours is about, GWM - the two axes are the same!

PS - I change my jacket when I feel that my current jacket is or could let me down on the hill - as much of a safety issue as not liking to get a bit wet. After much heavy use, the main zip was starting to fail on my Lhotse - not the sort of thing that I want to totally fail in a blizzard on top of a fell - so it had to be replaced before winter came. Now relegated to light dog walking duties.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Davidedgarjones

As I see it you've got 3 choices
1. Paramo
2. Goretex or its rivals
3. A cheaper shell jacket
Dave

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
I'm going with Richard's method.  O0

Alas I have not a clue what your chart is showing GWM.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I was trying to get across and for amusement (I obviously failed) that during the course of a walk, say 5 hours of time, that if it started to rain, first as drizzle and then turns to heavy rain, I might at some point along that time continuum think to myself that "I need a new waterproof jacket," so 'X' in my model is when that moment happens.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
So based on my experience of hiking and rain, I'm now looking for a lightweight waterproof and 'cheapish' jacket to replace my existing cheap but heavier waterproof jacket. My purchase is just to get me to my 'X' point (I'm still dry but due to heavier and persistent rain I'm now in danger of getting wet) so I will then put on my lightweight poncho (just rolled up and strapped to the back of my rucksack) over the top of all of me to act as a kind of 'double glazing' until the heavier rain subsides.

I've found that this is the way for me to avoid taking my heavier Paramo Alta 2 type of jacket with me. I'm not keen on this type of garment any more, I prefer these days to think of layering for rain just like I layer for other weathers.

As always the problem is which waterproof do I choose and I also want it to double up as a running jacket. I'm in no hurry to choose so I'll just enjoy comparing and contrasting as to what's available.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I decided on my personal exercise to try to come up with what I think is my best way to manage all types of rain, from drizzle to torrential, and to still keep it 'light.' I've tried out rain skirts, ponchos, long cheap waterproof coats, short waterproof coats and expensive ones as well and in their own way they all work 'well enough.' My thinking is always about trying to manage what weather might come at me on more than a 10-day hike and the strong possibility that I may only be hiking in the UK in 2021?

My conclusion today is to buy an Altus full zip front opening poncho and a Marmot Precip Eco. I know how ponchos work now and I know that they are their best when it's raining heavily and when it rains for a long time. My first poncho (a Vaude) was an over the head type but from experience, I feel this type is not so good, too much messing about when putting them on and then taking them off. A full-length zipped poncho looks a much better option for me, in that it can stay hanging over my rucksack when its damp or for the other types of rain that can be managed by a single skin waterproof jacket (I wouldn't need a rucksack cover either) and when it does rain harder and reaches my point 'X' I can then wear the poncho over the top, or take the single skin jacket off first before the rain becomes too serious.

Until rain becomes an important matter for me, a Marmot Precip Eco can keep me dry. I've owned a Marmot Precip before and I had no problems with it until the inner lining was scratched off, which was my fault because I underestimated the damage a small piece of Velcro could do to it.

At the moment I'm concentrating on Marmot Precip alternatives, there seems to be a lot of them!