Author Topic: Advice on buying a waterproof outer jacket  (Read 999 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice on buying a waterproof outer jacket
« Reply #15 on: 11:37:24, 18/02/21 »
I have a Vaude Poncho, which if bought today would cost about 80 (in hindsight I was a fool to buy it!) because it has always had one BIG design flaw. To get it to work easily it has to be put over one's head and pulled down over both rucksack and body. And when it stops raining it has to be taken off. I can assure you that neither task is easy! I have pulled a muscle in my shoulder and/or arms so many times when attempting to do this. I've tried to sell it but no luck.

My wife's friend is going to cut a vertical line from neck to hemline and then fit the Vaude with a full-length waterproof zip. She did this (a 4' one) to one side of my Alpkit Hunka and this improved its usability in the most positive way. I'm very lucky to know her, she is so clever at what she does. I'm also going to ask her to sew me a couple of elasticated Silnylon wrist tubes that are longer than my gloves to keep my hands and gloves dry when it's raining.

If the poncho modification works I'll be happy, if it doesn't I'm then going to buy the full-zip Decathlon Poncho or the full-zip Altus Atmosphere Poncho.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:25:12, 18/02/21 »
GWM, I agree, the Vaude is not a great buy. Being a weighty tall person I  bought the XL size and have regretted it.It is way too big and  realistically, too heavy

The pocket for the back pack is adaptable  to suit the size of rucksack, but there is just too much material, unnecessarily so. It can be difficult to get it over a smaller day pack.

My wife added two internal straps one on each shoulder which can be tied around my bag shoulder straps so I can flip it over my head or pull it back over me without risking severe dislocation any more. I use a bit of bungee and a carabiner as a belt to stop it becoming a kite and of course it has the fastener between the legs.

It is absolutely bombproof in the rain. And due to its enormous size, for me quite airy.

So, for a couple of years now I have self justified the money that I know I wasted on this poncho.  My wife has refused to adapt it any further and I get a nosebleed thinking about sewing. Clearly I may have fooled myself into thinking this was the bees knees but she always knew better.

So  I'm waiting for lockdown to end and will try on one of the Decathlon  zip down ponchos with the pit zips or pay the customs duty for an Altus. At which point the Vaude will be turned into a groundsheet and dry bags.
Ponchos have so many more uses  than a rain jacket, and are so much more cost effective.

Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:49:38, 18/02/21 »
I've had my Vaude poncho a long time now and it was only today, when I was giving it the once over, that I noticed for the very first time that it has an half-inch internal strap with a popper at the end of it which overhangs the internal chest pocket. I can't work out what's it designed for? Do you know?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:04:14, 19/02/21 »
GWM, yes it does take you by surprise when you find it.
It is a very peculiar way Vaude has for shortening the length of the poncho.

If you look at the hem, as well as the press studs for fastening front to back between your legs to stop the poncho blowing up, there are two further straps with a few press stud fasteners, without looking I think two on each. So if you want  the poncho to be shorter you attach the chest tape to the hem tape, front or back, maybe even both? You can then also still have enough press studs to fasten the poncho between the legs.

Now having written all that, Since I am well over 6 got tall, I never needed to experiment with it until today.

I think personally that this is yet another thing Vaude got wrong with that poncho.
To me the only thing that is right it's total waterproofness and airyness and I like the between leg tie down.
I find it just too heavy for carrying on my daysack on the off chance of rain. The rucksack pouch, adjustable to the size of rucksack, is like carrying an elephants hernia. Their sizing is on the ridiculously large side of large. I ordered an L, the label says L but my body tells me it got loads of kisses in the making as it feels more like a 5XL.  I have a decent waterproof jacket but still would prefer a decent poncho. I am sure that the Decathlon zip up or the Altus meets my requirements.  Failing that I may go down your current Champion route.

As for the Vaude well I see a ground sheet and some dry bags coming out of that.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:03:40, 19/02/21 »
How odd, I've never thought of shortening my poncho? I agree with all of your views but if I can get the full zip done my plan is to affix it to my rucksack and to not bother to take a rucksack cover with me. If it works I may not bother buying anything else but if it doesn't then I'll buy the Altus or the Decathlon poncho?

There is a USA website of a specially designed poncho which does what I want mine to do as a routine (can't remember its name now?) I've looked at it but its two failings for me, its cost and I think in practicable terms its hemline is too short. In terms of the other two poncho's, the Altus is lightest in weight but the Decathlon one is easier to buy from here in the UK.

I too can also see me cutting up my Vaude to make a groundsheet?

I am confident there is a better way to manage rain without having to buy a waterproof jacket, I just haven't found my ideal combination as yet.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:46:19, 20/02/21 »
I've had a Paramo Alta 2 now for a number of years and rarely use it, it's too hot in mild weather, it's bulky, and it always suffered from internal perspiration issues. The zip has been failing for some time but I have used it on odd days in the recent bad weather. Yesterday the zip failed completely, the fabric edge to the zip at the hem end just fell apart. Oh well, I'll just hang in my garage for the summer and decide if I'll get the zip replaced or not at some later date.

I've been thinking a lot recently to buy another wet weather jacket and still haven't made up my mind, (too much choice) except I'm pretty certain now that I will settle on a lightweight waterproof running type jacket rather than purchase a waterproof hiking jacket again.

janner

« Reply #21 on: 15:15:35, 20/02/21 »
I've had a Paramo Alta 2 now for a number of years and rarely use it, it's too hot in mild weather, it's bulky, and it always suffered from internal perspiration issues. The zip has been failing for some time but I have used it on odd days in the recent bad weather. Yesterday the zip failed completely, the fabric edge to the zip at the hem end just fell apart. Oh well, I'll just hang in my garage for the summer and decide if I'll get the zip replaced or not at some later date.

I've been thinking a lot recently to buy another wet weather jacket and still haven't made up my mind, (too much choice) except I'm pretty certain now that I will settle on a lightweight waterproof running type jacket rather than purchase a waterproof hiking jacket again.

Send your Alta 2 back to Paramo as all Paramo gear comes with a lifetime guarantee. I have an Alta 3 and find it to hot and only use it during very cold weather and even then I only wear a base layer with it. I bought it last year for when I intended to walk the West Highland Way because of the heavy and prolonged rain they experience in Scotland. Unfortunately I had to change the dates to this April due to Covid but that wont be happening now for the same reason.

killie123

« Reply #22 on: 15:27:10, 22/02/21 »
I dont think sending the Alta back to Paramo would help, as I think its just that all people I know (including myself) who have one, have the same problem especially during the warmer weather. But they are a great jacket on a cold but dry day out in the hills.   I bought a Mountain Equipment Rupal jacket for the really wet days and layer up, this way I don't get the condensation build up. Summer lightweight is a Rab Kinetic Plus, a great softshell.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:13:36, 22/02/21 »
After much dithering, I've just purchased myself a Rab Kinetic Alpine 2.0 from Facewest at 157.50, Rab wants 210 for it. It was the best price I could find. As my wife has just pointed out, I didn't need to purchase it, I already have one cheap waterproof long coat, one cheap waterproof short coat and if I got the zip repaired a Paramo Alta 2 as well but as you can imagine I came up with some excuses. My best one (I think) was that I won the Premium Bonds last month so in reality, its only cost us 7.50. She smiled (or was it a smirk?) and went downstairs to make herself a cup of tea. She's offered me one so I don't think I'm that much out in the cold?

To be truthful I don't actually need the jacket, I just want it!  :-[

My justification is that I'm buying a waterproof jacket that will be 'good enough' for a 2-week hike or more, my cheap jackets are only fine for a 2 -5 day hike but not really more than that. My plan for this jacket is that it will be part of my 2021 keeping dry system. When I get my Vaude Poncho back from my wife's friend, with a full-length zip fitted, I hopefully will then be able to cope well with all rain types. But once I get this Rab jacket in my hands will it then make my windproof redundant?

So for me now, only two more possible purchases to think about, a new tent and a new mid-layer???

I just want to be ready-to-go when we get the all-clear to hike again.  O0