Author Topic: Uploading GPX files to Garmin Montana 610  (Read 347 times)

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
Re: Uploading GPX files to Garmin Montana 610
« Reply #15 on: 13:04:28, 14/02/21 »
Yes I agree about the beep, but never use it!

Another limitation is that routes are limited in the number of routable waypoints and so a downloaded route may be very “angular” especially if it is a long hike.
I always check any GPX file I download in BaseCamp (and sometimes in Google Earth) to check the path and look for any obvious errors such as the spiky features of multipath errors in - just look at some tracks recorded in Goredale Scar for example. If you tried to follow some of these erroneous sections of track you would have to be a rock climber and mountain goat combined!
I recently came across a GPX route that had been copied from another route sharing site. The originator had updated his GPX file and route description, but the copier’s outdated GPX route had you going right through the centre of a working limestone quarry  :o  - a pretty obvious error when you look on Google Earth!! O0
Indeed . Cover your back... :)
I also use google earth to check routes when OS mapping looks a tad vague or just when something looks odd....or of late especially routes going near to farms . I try to avoid going through the centres of them out of resepct , with all things going on at the moment.

On OS mapping it sometimes looks like a route goes right through the centre of a farm or cluster of buildings but on the ground it just passes nicely by .. O0
Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because it's excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience - Adam Smith

Eyelet

Re: Uploading GPX files to Garmin Montana 610
« Reply #16 on: 14:25:59, 14/02/21 »

On OS mapping it sometimes looks like a route goes right through the centre of a farm or cluster of buildings but on the ground it just passes nicely by .. O0

Agreed - on many farms near here, the FPs have been legally diverted around them.