Author Topic: Charity C2C  (Read 337 times)

JMCMF

Charity C2C
« on: 20:02:09, 16/03/21 »
Hello,

I'm planning a C2C walk in aid of charity. It's going to be an unusual route to take in some places of significance for me.
I plan to start in Whitehaven and go via Croglin, Lazonby, Bishop Auckland and then onto Tynemouth.
I'm new to this kind of walk and I'm slightly concerned about walking access along some of the roads.
I'll be camping / doing B&Bs, but hoping to do the former to maximise money for the charities.
I realise this is a bit of an opened ended request but I would appreciate some recommendations on suitable routes and possibly more important routes to avoid.
Places to stop / rest would be good, but realise recommendations are tricky in current circumstances.
I'd also like to know if there's a resource I can tap into that can talk through routes - it's tricky to do that longhand.
Thanks in anticipation.
JMCMF

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Charity C2C
« Reply #1 on: 21:18:58, 16/03/21 »
Welcome to the forum JMCMF  :)

The Weardale Way would fit in with your plans quite nicely once you get beyond Alston, and there is a bridleway over the hills between Croglin and the Alston valley, I suspect that that could be tough going: boggy and remote. EDIT - can't see any sign of this bridleway on satellite imagery - could be very tough going! Might be best to head SE to Renwick and go over Hartside to Alston. This will involve a couple of miles walking on the A686, but I don't think that it would be too bad.

From Whitehaven you could follow the Wainwright Coast to Coast walk for a while, before branching off to Keswick and taking the Cumbria Way past Skiddaw, then going down the lovely valley to Mosedale. From there a messy selection of minor roads to Lazonby and Croglin, before crossing over the fells to Alston.

Can't help with accommodation, I'm afraid. Wild camping easy in the Lakes, and maybe above Croglin, but less so crossing the Eden Valley and as you approach the more densely populated areas in the NE.
« Last Edit: 21:32:01, 16/03/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:51:29, 16/03/21 »
From Croglin, there is a shooters track up to Blotting Raise and on to Croglin Fell.  From there, there are more shooters tracks going E but they eventually run out at NY 62627 48679.  There is then a km or so of off piste to connect with the shooters tracks on the E side of Knar Burn at NY 64629 48848.  I have walked parts of Gelstdale and the ridge E of Knar Burn to Gray Nag but I have never crossed the gap so I cannot comment on the going.  Navigation would be an issue if the visibility is poor but there appear to be some fence lines that could be used as handrails.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:26:51, 17/03/21 »
I did walk up Cold Fell many years ago - trackless and in places rough, but wasn't too boggy, despite it being winter, which surprised me.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:29:04, 23/03/21 »
Greg's Hut when it's open maybe?  Most of the North Pennines is uninhabited and even this year (when everyone is going to be out) those fells won't be getting much traffic.  Be aware of the shooting season if you're going to be travelling along here, they're 'okay' with day walkers but they can get a bit shirty if you're obviously camping. 

Some excellent routes you have to pick from here though!  As has been said, upper Teesdale/Weardale is quite remote and has little to choose from when it comes to stops, but if you can pin down your route a bit more Im happy to recommend places you might want to stop en-route as I know the area fairly well.